My Lad Makes Me So Proud Sometimes...

Staffyluv

We have been working on the leave it command and he has it down pretty good.. So I thought I would really test him tonight.

I left 2 scotch finger biscuits on the floor and said leave it. Then I walked away and came back a few minutes later (honestly expecting them to be gone) and they were still there...

Bless him, so I gave him some of that filthy shark cartilidge that he loves so much (that stuff makes me dry retch just opening the packet)...

I think we have the leave it command conquered...

Just had to share. :D

That's great Staffyluv, I agree the sharkies are vile -make me retch too but they way the dogs go mad for them I would say they are a huge reward!

They are about the only thing he treats as a reward, other than a tennis ball or even better, the squeaky tennis ball...

Maybe I need to test him with a ball and not food...

That is so good. Have been working on the very same thing with my girl & she done me proud on the beach not so long ago. Huge piece of srummy dead fish bait which she almost gobbeled up & as soon as I asked her to "leave it" she literally coughed up the stinky fish straight away & quickly sat & looked up at me for her treat. I was very happy with that effort :)

That's great! It makes life so much easier when they learn to do that :)

One of ours will leave it as long as we are there (or in the next room), but will eat anything within reach the second we go further than that.

Our other 2 amaze me! We could leave food on the table (we have even tested it by leaving a nearly finished packet of chips on the floor), go out shopping for a few hours, come home and they wont have touched a thing.

That breakthrough moment when you do the big test and it works is such an amazing feeling...

We still have a way to go on a few other areas but we are getting there.. Even if sometimes it feels like 2 steps forward and 1 step back...

well done!! :thumbsup:

we're working on leave it too, Diva is doing pretty good with it, the kids on the other hand... yeah not so good for awhile there I was thinking Diva was the gobbler. A baby monitor with video feature proved the kidlettes were the scoffers.

Fantastic work Staffyluv!

Yes and this morning he stole a kiwi fruit from the fruit bowl...

2 steps forward and 1 step back... haha.

He is doing really well with so much of it Snook.

We (trainer and I) have worked out that his excitement levels escalate to the point where he would rather be with the other dogs than me - so he only gets to hang at the park for about 15-20 minutes once a fortnight or so now. Once I call, lets go after that short space of time, he is ready and willing to come home..

So that is all he gets now and it seems to be working - his recall is good during that short time frame to.

He looks like he has so much fun, I just can't bring myself to not let him go.

We have the same issue with training classes - he can only handle it for so long before his concentration just goes and he starts laying down, rolling over and generally being a PITA..

Edited by Staffyluv