Great Dane Info

Chihuahuamumma

Hi guys & gals

I currently own a chihuahua

I would have a long, hard think if these two breeds are really a good match. Just a swipe of the paw from a Dane could badly injure a Chi. I'm not saying it can't work but it is a lot of work and separating. I have a giant dog (60kgs+) and a Pug (6kgs) who is small for his size, I am lucky that the large dog is very docile and spends most of his time sleeping. If he was hyper and zoomed around it would be fraught with danger IMO.

Hi guys & gals

I would have a long, hard think if these two breeds are really a good match. Just a swipe of the paw from a Dane could badly injure a Chi. I'm not saying it can't work but it is a lot of work and separating. I have a giant dog (60kgs+) and a Pug (6kgs) who is small for his size, I am lucky that the large dog is very docile and spends most of his time sleeping. If he was hyper and zoomed around it would be fraught with danger IMO.

Thanks Clyde, I am not getting a Dane just yet...because I've never had a giant breed I want to do as much research as possible

Swayd used to have a small dog and a number of Danes - little dog used to wear a bell! Not a huge difference between having a dane and a cat. It comes down to how to teach the Dane to mind its manners and respect space.

Insurance is getting more popular with Dane owners as all vet bills cost big bucks. A simple course of ABs plus the vet visit is minimum $100. Plus it is a good security in case of bloat - surgery there can be upwards of $5k. Insurance prices vary with insurers but I think I pay around $95 a month for a cat and a dane.

As for feeding - when they're growing they do eat a lot - usually around 8-10 cups of a good quality dry food a day. Of the foods I'd feed a growing Dane none come in a 20kg bag. I'd say a 15kg bag (royal canin) should last around 3 weeks. My 4 year old male gets through 12.6kg a month. Diet for a growing Dane is one area you cannot afford to be cheap - you need a high quality dry food especially if you're inexperienced in the breed as they have to be grown slow and steady to protect the joints.

With buying supplies for a new puppy, training, purchase price, food, vets etc a reasonable estimate for the first year of a Dane's life is around $10k. Of course you can get by a lot cheaper than this but everything costs a lot more with a giant breed!

Edited by Danois

Swayd has a couple of Affens and used to have a Cairn, so it can be done with care.

I have giant and mini schnauzers - not such a big difference in size and weight BUT they are both active breeds and i am aware that a bounce from my giant pup at the wrong time can do serious damage to a mini, especially one of the pups.

But as with lots of things, you have to calculate the risks knowing your own dogs and be prepared to perhaps have them live separate

I have thought about adopting, i have been looking at the Great Dane Rescue and Rehoming website. If I could have one now I'd adpot "Blue" in a heartbeat as he's exactly what I want!

Although people will always have their colour preferences, we ask people to look at the dog as a whole as the right dog for them and their family may come in another colour :) Blacks & Merles are currently the most common in Rescue. We don't see Blues very often.

Hi guys & gals

Ditto.

We have a Shihtzu x Pommy foster here and a 12 year old Dane and there's no issues - most likely as both are old. If I had a younger Dane here that was playful or not as tolerant then there definately could be issues.

There is a Dane Breeder overseas who owns Chi's and recently had an accidental death in play, very sad.

Another couple of things I'm wondering are: who has pet insurance in QLD and roughly what would it cost to insure a Dane?

Obviously they eat a crap load of food (which is fine as I'm prepared to be spending a lot more than I am now). For example, how long roughly would a 20k bag last an adult male?

We're with RSPCA insurance and I think that's around $40 a month.

What a Dane eats is a very individual thing. Anything from say a couple of cups of kibble to 9 cups of kibble. A growing Dane will eat alot where-as an older not so active Dane won't consume as much.

A 20 kg bag would probably last 2-3 weeks for an adult.

Swayd used to have a small dog and a number of Danes - little dog used to wear a bell! Not a huge difference between having a dane and a cat. It comes down to how to teach the Dane to mind its manners and respect space.

Insurance is getting more popular with Dane owners as all vet bills cost big bucks. A simple course of ABs plus the vet visit is minimum $100. Plus it is a good security in case of bloat - surgery there can be upwards of $5k. Insurance prices vary with insurers but I think I pay around $95 a month for a cat and a dane.

As for feeding - when they're growing they do eat a lot - usually around 8-10 cups of a good quality dry food a day. Of the foods I'd feed a growing Dane none come in a 20kg bag. I'd say a 15kg bag (royal canin) should last around 3 weeks. My 4 year old male gets through 12.6kg a month. Diet for a growing Dane is one area you cannot afford to be cheap - you need a high quality dry food especially if you're inexperienced in the breed as they have to be grown slow and steady to protect the joints.

With buying supplies for a new puppy, training, purchase price, food, vets etc a reasonable estimate for the first year of a Dane's life is around $10k. Of course you can get by a lot cheaper than this but everything costs a lot more with a giant breed!

Thank you (your DP pic is gorgeous by the way)

Another couple of things I'm wondering are: who has pet insurance in QLD and roughly what would it cost to insure a Dane?

Obviously they eat a crap load of food (which is fine as I'm prepared to be spending a lot more than I am now). For example, how long roughly would a 20k bag last an adult male?

We're with RSPCA insurance and I think that's around $40 a month.

What a Dane eats is a very individual thing. Anything from say a couple of cups of kibble to 9 cups of kibble. A growing Dane will eat alot where-as an older not so active Dane won't consume as much.

A 20 kg bag would probably last 2-3 weeks for an adult.

As I said, I am not getting a Dane yet. I was only saying a have a chi and a boxer currently so people would know what breeds i have :)

As for adopting, i love all the colours so I definitely don't have my eyes solely set on a blue. If the right Dane was up for adoption at the right time then i would def want to go down that path as im very pro rescue!

Thanks for the insurance and food info, its good to start getting rough figures before making such a GREAT (lol) commitment.