Mastitis Help.

Parkeyre

Currently trying to get mastitis under control with my girl Alice.

She has a litter of puppies who will be four weeks old this Tuesday night.

Upon first recognition of the mastitis she was taken the vet and given anitibiotics, enough for four days.

We are on day three and Alice is taking 3 x tablets once a day of Baytil Flavour 50. (1 tablet per 10kilos).

Under vet recommendation, we took her away from the puppies.

24hrs later (last night) her mastitis has gone from just one boob to all 10 of them.

Crying, I rang a breeder and she said to put the puppies back on her.

This morning only the first boob was still hard and swollen.

Tomorrow is our last day of antibiotics before it runs out.

What else can we do?

Keep the pups on.

Cabbage leaves, they really do work to soften up the lumps and infection. Gently massage the hard areas to break it down and express the puss.

I treat my girls the same way I treated myself and it worked.

ETA: Put the cabbage leave on and bandage them to her with vetwrap and leave them on overnight. Start the massage in the morning and keep at it ever couple of hours.

Edited by Pav Lova

Keep the pups on.

Cabbage leaves, they really do work to soften up the lumps and infection. Gently massage the hard areas to break it down and express the puss.

I treat my girls the same way I treated myself and it worked.

ETA: Put the cabbage leave on and bandage them to her with vetwrap and leave them on overnight. Start the massage in the morning and keep at it ever couple of hours.

Great advice. I'll just add - a warm towel on the area just prior to massage helps. Try and milk the first milk off then put the pups on. Put the strongest sucker on the most affected boob. Also, give your bitch a course of protexin to put her gut flora back or you may have a diarrohea problem as well.

Good Luck. Awfully stressful for you and your girl.