Did I Do Something Wrong In This Situation?

Leelaa17

Because dogs can slip a flat collar :) I'm pleased a martingale collar works for your dog as they work for both of mine too.

Ok, then why do people who buy tools like infin8s use them as a training tool to try and stop their dogs from pulling? I understand that you are saying you use one because your dogs slip flat collars but most people don't use them strictly for that purpose, they use them to try and control dogs that pull on the leash. I know what an infin8 is and how it works, which is why I was confused that anyone would say that they never cause "any" discomfort to the dog.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer for "most people"

IMHO they don't cause undue discomfort. No more than a flat collar, a check collar or prong collar used correctly. I can only speak for myself & the positive results I have had along with daily positive reward lead training.

Had to edit to add I have witnessed a pup slip its flat collar & get killed by an oncoming car. That is why I did a fair amount of research on this issue. I wanted something 99% safe.

Also we are suppose to be offering the op advise on our positive experiences coupled with what has worked for us, to maybe give the op a helping hand, exactly what I have tried to do :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Because dogs can slip a flat collar :) I'm pleased a martingale collar works for your dog as they work for both of mine too.

Ok, then why do people who buy tools like infin8s use them as a training tool to try and stop their dogs from pulling? I understand that you are saying you use one because your dogs slip flat collars but most people don't use them strictly for that purpose, they use them to try and control dogs that pull on the leash. I know what an infin8 is and how it works, which is why I was confused that anyone would say that they never cause "any" discomfort to the dog.

I don't use it for training. Both my dogs will heel on a flat collar. But if I am walking them together it would be foolish of me to assume that I can physically control two dogs that equal my weight if the need arises. Therefore I find it necessary to use tools so that I can safely handle my dogs.

Things for next time.

Never wrap the lead around your hand or elbow or arm or any other bit of you that's important to you - because when the dog or horse or boat sail takes off - you can get your limb instantly amputated or damaged so much it needs amputating.

If you feel you need extra grip - wrap the leads around the nearest pole or tree - street sign poles are good - these give you some leverage like a pully and increased friction - making much more work for the dog to pull.

Get a front attach harness - attach the lead to it and the collar, if there is a wriggly twisty dog problem. My dog always pulls forwards - she hasn't figured out she can get out of her flat collar by pulling backwards and I don't give her the opportunity to find out. A rear attach (back of the shoulders) harness is fine if you want your dog to pull a cart. Ie it just gives them more power. Ie if the dogs can and will pull you around - you don't want to have the lead clipped onto a rear attach harness alone. a horse lead rope thick rope will also give you better grip, especially if you tie a few knots in it. I found I could not use the webbing leads - they hurt my hands and my dog only took three bites to cut them completely.

A martingale collar may also help - but won't give you any extra leverage on your dog.

If you decide to get a prong collar - get professional help in learning how to use it ie it's only useful if you practice first and teach the dog that to release the pressure - they have to come back to you. Good timing is really really important. So get an experienced professional whose methods you respect to help.

Several options when confronted by a loose dog and you know your dogs will react (reactive dogs). Leave immediately. A herding dog giving you the eye - if you can get your dogs to turn around and drop - the herding dog may lose interest. Asking the other owner to call their dog - is good. If they're dog savvy they will. If they're not so dog savvy they won't or they will argue with you (my dog's friendly) and you know you need to leave because they're not going to understand there's trouble coming until it's way too late.

I used a halti for a while - but I used it in combination with the flat collar and harness - it's no use to you if the dog lunges with a good run up wearing one. And you need to train a dog to accept wearing one - like training to accept a muzzle - connecting wearing it with lots of high value rewards.

IMHO huski, no more discomfort than a ordinary flat collar if a dog pulls. It is unsafe to walk a dog in something they can slip. Thats was my main concern & it seems the op. is having trouble as hers slipped the harness. Hence my suggestion to try an Infin8.

This is what I use for the same reasons.

The ones that clip below the dogs jaw pull their heads around, I was concerned about this and the potential for it to hurt my rather bouncy dogs neck. I also found that the nosebands tended to ride up into his right eye when he pulled. That caused him a lot of discomfort.

Because the infin8 is clipped at the back of the neck it puts downward pressure on the top of his nose rather than sideways pressure. As it doesn't ride up into his eye my dog is much more tolerant of it. I have also found that I can adjust it to suit his likely level of excitement. On a rather boring walk I loosen the noseband off a bit to give him some time getting used to minimal/no pressure and in a highly exciting environment (like at dog club) I tighten it so that I have more control. It is not as effective at reducing his strength but I have found it to be a good compromise.

These collars can apply considerable pressure to the dog's upper neck because they force the dog's head to flex towards the neck if pressure is applied.

People should shed the idea that any dog head collar works like a horse halter - they don't.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I've actually used both the Gentle Leader and the Infin8 halters have found that I much prefer the Gentle Leader. Zeus being part beagle likes to put his nose on the ground to smell, which I don't mind him doing, but this caused him to protest over the use of the GL. Every time his nose went down, his head jerked sideways so he'd crawl along the ground trying to rub it off. Eventually he calmed down and accepted it.

The nose band on the Infin8 I found rode up into Zeus's eyes and the plastic adjuster actually dug into the bridge of his nose very near his bottom eyelid -- I own both a size 2 and size 3 for him but the size 2 is too small and the size 3 is a too big.

I feel I've more control with the GL as I need to concentrate on what both myself and my dog are doing, otherwise, his head continually jerks around. That being said, we still have a long ways to go in regards to mastering loose-leash walking; I'm not the best teacher.