Changing Auto File Names

experiencedfun

Congratulations on the new camera, and we now need photos, and did you trade the D50 or will you keep it or sell it, and what lens did you get or is it body only and you will keep the lenses. Is this a model without a focus motor, so you need the AF lenses - not that it makes a difference, there are so many good ones.

Can't say re changing the DSC or whatever prefix, it should be do-able, I forgot to ask OH last night, he's more onto techy things like that. I seem to always have Nikons running duplicated numbers, never been a problem, just in different folders and it's fine. But I will ask him.

Thanks for reminding me to look at my D50, I took it out of its two-year storage yesterday, re-charged battery inadvertently left in it, what an idiot! Absentmindedly then popped in an 8gig card. D50 said I don't do 8 gig are you mad? Found a 2 and it was fine, must look at a firmware upgrade though.

It was a happy little camper and tried its best. Found Pekin rooster, a lavender bush with bees, and a spider. Two bees were caught in the web but both escaped, spider most pissed off. And my roses are now in bud and some flower Persephone, and covered in fat smug aphids, they will need a bit of help. I'd say keep your D50 SF, it's always handy to have an extra body in an emergency.

DSC_7283.jpg

DSC_7289.jpg

DSC_7311.jpg

I was going to answer but PC has said exactly what I would say, if you use different folders for different events you should be right, also I have mine set so the file numbers run on, they only go back to 001 when when it gets to 999. Every time I take a set of pictures I make a new folder. If by chance there is an occasion where same numbered photos go in the same folder the mac will ask me if I want to keep both files.

Have fun with new camera, come join us in the challenges threads if you have time? It's a lot of fun.

I will NOT play with the camera before I finish my pre agent inspection spring clean..I WILL NOT I WILL NOT

OMG nope I wont

I got it in a kit with VR lenses 18-55 F/3.5-5.6G VR and 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6G ED VR as stock lenses and then I splashed out for a 50mm f/1.8D lens as well

I have a very good friend who has always drooled over my D50 and she has an assortment of P&S cameras so I am giving it to her to get her started. If she changes her mind and doesnt want it I will sell it. I am not that far into the photography to have extras laying around. I am happy with the D5100 and my little 3D P&S.

cant wait to take some pictures....not even one shot yet and I have had it nearly 24 hours.

I'm fairly sure there was something about file naming in the manual - unfortunately I seem to have put it in a really safe place! :confused:

Congrats on the new camera! :D It's a good one!

Actually I'm about to upgrade myself - to the D7000. I'm keeping the D5100 though! :)