Electric Fence Collar On A Puppy

palski

Electric Fence Collar On A Puppy

STUPID or not my business?!

Stupid.

Very stupid.

And its definately your business as there's not much I can do.

I didn't see it.

However, the last time I took a dog in, the cost was up around $3000.

Hang on a minute, the dogs still here. :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did the right thing palski.

An event may be categorized as evil if it involves any of the following:

1. some harm (whether it be minor or great) being done to the physical and/or psychological well-being of a sentient creature;

An event may be categorized as good if it involves any of the following:

1. some improvement (whether it be minor or great) in the physical and/or psychological well-being of a sentient creature;

Edited by Tralee

1. some harm (whether it be minor or great) being done to the physical and/or psychological well-being of a sentient creature;

But what if someone subjectively decided that not getting an operation done on a dog immediately constituted harm? How would you feel to come home to a stolen dog?

But what if someone subjectively decided that not getting an operation done on a dog immediately constituted harm?

How would you feel to come home to a stolen dog?

I'm sure you're missed something.

Its not my dog.

You can't steal something that doesn't belong to me.

I know it wasn't your dog, but it was in your care and can be stolen from you.

The semantics of whether you owned the dog doesn't matter, an outsider might have decided the dog wasn't getting the correct care and stolen him.

How would you have felt if you were judged like that?

Seriously, it is obvious you have things knotted up irrationally.

I didn't do anything to make the dog's injury worse.

No further harm was done!

If fact, if you knew the condition it was being kept in then it was a good act just to 'seize' the dog as I did.

1. some improvement (whether it be minor or great) in the physical and/or psychological well-being of a sentient creature;

The dog was removed from the very real threat of further harm being done.

I can't see you doing any good for the dog, or acting in the interest of the OP's puppy neighbour.

I know it wasn't your dog, but it was in your care and can be stolen from you.

The semantics of whether you owned the dog doesn't matter, an outsider might have decided the dog wasn't getting the correct care and stolen him.

How would you have felt if you were judged like that?

If fact, if you knew the condition it was being kept in then it was a good act just to 'seize' the dog as I did.

I can't see you doing any good for the dog, or acting in the interest of the OP's puppy neighbour.

I think you know what I'm getting at, some might believe the harm was in the operation being delayed. If I decided that the dog was in pain because it had an injury that needed repair and wasn't getting it fast enough I could take matters into my own hands yes?

So if the dog's owner was not looking after it properly then why are you sending it back, being the moral crusader you claim to be?

Not as black and white as you make it out to be.

I think you know what I'm getting at, some might believe the harm was in the operation being delayed.

If I decided that the dog was in pain because it had an injury that needed repair and wasn't getting it fast enough I could take matters into my own hands yes?

So if the dog's owner was not looking after it properly then why are you sending it back, being the moral crusader you claim to be?

Not as black and white as you make it out to be.

My apologies but I've got no idea what you're getting.

The fact that I've replied gives witness to the necessity of correcting your misconceptions.

I don't have to chase you around in circles.

And, I have no intention of getting into personal matters, or more particularly my private reasons for doing things.

But out of consideration, I can offer that you take a look at "The Doctrine of Double Effect."

Edited by Tralee

Its not my dog.

There's some very fancy footwork being done here. Lets have you actually address the issue raised in response to your calls for more moral behaviour though shall we?

I can walk past your house for a week, see a dog with its leg in a sling, decide that it isn't being properly cared for according to my standards and take it. Well according to your take on appropriate behaviour, I can anyway.

I don't need to know that its not your dog. I don't need to know how you are treating it and I certainly don't need to know that you have done nothing to exacerbate the dog's injury.

Indeed, I don't need facts of any kind. All I need is my own subjective opinion on the issue and your argument is that my theft of a dog in your care is not only justified but necessary. After all, in 2012 there are no innocent bystanders.

Is that how you really see such issues?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Its not my dog.

There's some very fancy footwork being done here.

Lets have you actually address the issue raised in response to your calls for more moral behaviour though shall we?

I can walk past your house for a week, see a dog with its leg in a sling, decide that it isn't being properly cared for according to my standards and take it.

Well according to your take on appropriate behaviour, I can anyway.

I don't need to know that its not your dog.

I don't need to know how you are treating it and I certainly don't need to know that you have done nothing to exacerbate the dog's injury.

Indeed, I don't need facts of any kind.

All I need is my own subjective opinion on the issue and your argument is that my theft of a dog in your care is not only justified but necessary.

After all, in 2012 there are no innocent bystanders.

I live across the road from a hospital.

There are people all through the day on the footpath in slings, casts, crutches, wheelchairs, standing with a mobile drip as they have a smoke.

You should abduct all of those people because they are being mistreated.

Really.

That's quite bizarre.

You're trying to equate compassionate care with 'torture'.

There are people all through the day on the footpath in slings, casts, crutches, wheelchairs, standing with a mobile drip as they have a smoke.

Really.

That's quite bizarre.

No, I'm trying to demonstrate that your idea that people should take the law into their own hands based on limited observation of a situation and bugger all facts is the "moral" thing to do.

All that is known about this GSD pup is that it is young, kept in the back yard and currently wearing an electronic containment collar.

Based on those facts alone, you have decided that the pup is being mistreated and that, if you lived next door you'd liberate it. It wouldn't be theft by your moral compass because it would be the right thing to do.

So I gave an example of how that rationale could be applied to a dog in YOUR care and you still don't get it. It wouldn't matter a damn if you were giving a dog "compassionate care" if the person stealing the dog thought otherwise. THAT is what you're advocating here.

By your standards, every old, underweight or unwell dog might be freely stolen because someone decided that it was being mistreated. There'd hardly be a sighthound safe anywhere because ignorant people think a lean sighthound is being starved.

But now you're talking about hospitals, humans and torture?? I find that bizarre.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Its not my dog.

There's some very fancy footwork being done here.

Lets have you actually address the issue raised in response to your calls for more moral behaviour though shall we?

I can walk past your house for a week, see a dog with its leg in a sling, decide that it isn't being properly cared for according to my standards and take it.

Well according to your take on appropriate behaviour, I can anyway.

I don't need to know that its not your dog.

I don't need to know how you are treating it and I certainly don't need to know that you have done nothing to exacerbate the dog's injury.

Indeed, I don't need facts of any kind.

All I need is my own subjective opinion on the issue and your argument is that my theft of a dog in your care is not only justified but necessary.

After all, in 2012 there are no innocent bystanders.

Really.

That's quite bizarre.

According to my values it is torture and I am going to steal the dog. How do you feel about that?

You appear to have situational ethics.

According to my values it is torture and I am going to steal the dog.

How do you feel about that?

Very concerned.

Its a Maremma almost fully recovered and I have 3 other Maremmas aged 5-8.

So, good luck with that.

According to my values it is torture and I am going to steal the dog.

How do you feel about that?

Very concerned.

Its a Maremma almost fully recovered and I have 3 other Maremmas aged 5-8.

So, good luck with that.

No probs I have ways and means.

It wouldn't have been stupid if they hadn't put an electic collar on a six week old puppy.

So if anything you do to your dogs is "stupid" in my opinion, I should steal them?

Or is it only when you think things are stupid that people should have to follow your advice? You seem to have a remarkable inability to place yourself in the shoes of people who'd be the subjects of your version of moral liberation of pets.

You may consider yourself to be an exemplary dog owner but if your advice was followed, it wouldn't matter how well your animals were treated if another person found that treatment lacking.

Anarchy....

It wouldn't have been stupid if they hadn't put an electic collar on a six week old puppy.

So if anything you do to your dogs is "stupid" in my opinion, I should steal them?

Or is it only when you think things are stupid that people should have to follow your advice?

You seem to have a remarkable inability to place yourself in the shoes of people who'd be the subjects of your version of moral liberation of pets.

You may consider yourself to be an exemplary dog owner but if your advice was followed, it wouldn't matter how well your animals were treated if another person found that treatment lacking.

Anarchy....

The OP intervened and so would I.

The OP was quite justified and pity there isn't more like them.