Bleeding Gums And Teething

kima

I have a gorgeous 4.5 month old Stafford puppy, Marlo, who currently in the middle of teething. Recently i have noticed that occasionally he is bleeding around the base of his teeth. It mostly seems to be when we are playing (he is a big lover of fetch and tugging games) though admittedly I don't often look in his mouth unless i am trying to get something out of it! We have stopped playing tugging games with him because i thought this might be contributing to it but I noticed today when he fetched me his ball there was blood on it. He regularly gets fed consumable bones and gets dry food for breakfast so lots of chewing and crunching there. He also has a vast array of teething toys (and every other toy imaginable!).

Is bleeding around teeth a normal part of teething or is this something that would be better dealt with by a vet? So far i have been leaning towards vet, but then again i tend to panic every time i think something may be even remotely wrong with him!

And here is a picture of Marlo. It doesnt serve any purpose, just an excuse to show off his cute face!

post-47293-0-36722300-1351902431_thumb.jpg

he is very cute :)

I wouldn;t worry .. there has to be some blood as teeth wriggle/fall out :) As long as he is eating well , playing tug etc .. all appears to be happening as it should :)

Obviously if there is blood pouring out ..or he is in a lot of pain , then there could be a problem .. and a vet should be contacted ...but your boy sounds as if he is normal at present:)

Thanks guys :) I do have a tendency to worry too much when it comes to Marlo.

looks like we may need a trip to the vet anyway though :( young Mr Marlo was zooming round the coffee table with a toy, he then jumped up on the couch to bleed on my leg and show me his tooth which he has broken clean in half. Then he ran off wagging his tail... Clearly I was far more upset about it than he was!