Whelping Advice

leopuppy04

I take my girls temps twice a day for about 2 weeks before whelping and I never take any notice of a temp drop that isnt one degree down and stays there for several hours. Its unusual for any bitch Ive ever whelped not to have a temp drop around 36.5 and stay there for several hours with a puppy within 48 hours. I expect whelping between 57 and 66 days from the first mating but Ive had them whelp without a problem up to 69 days from first mating.

Edited by Steve

Just because I hear different stories from everyone.... what is the progesterone level when the bitch ovulates? You are always told "ideal mating time" or "mate 2 days after ovulation" etc, but few people say "ovulation occurs when progesterone levels arexxxx"

I'd be interested to know :p.

From here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/groups/reproandneonatalcare/

From Dr Hutch: "For most bitches a progesterone reading of 2.0 nanograms (one billionth of a gram) indicates a surge in the luteinizing hormone (LH) from the pituitary gland, which triggers the release of eggs from the follicles, Hutchison explains. When progesterone levels reach 5.0 to 10.0 nanograms, a bitch is ovulating."

Edited by espinay2