Hemangiosarcoma

openarms

Just wondering if anyone has had a dog with a hemangiosarcoma on the skin before? My Mastiff x Bully had one removed from his scrotum a few years ago but i have recently found 4 new lesions on his belly/penis :(

I'm taking him to the vet but bracing myself for bad news. Just wanted a possible heads up on what i am in for and whether they can remove it again ect. Thanks in advance.

Edited by openarms

We had one removed from our oldest grey (he was ~5 years old at the time) and although the vet warned us of the likelihood of more appearing, he's now 10 years old and we've not had another since.

From what our vet explained to us, hemangiosarcomas on the skin is not as serious as elsewhere in the body and because he was a mostly white dog, likely caused to sun exposure.

I'd definitely still be concerned but the chances of it having metastasised from elsewhere (which is the biggest worry) aren't that high.

Yes one of my poodles had what seemed a simple skin lump removed when she was being desexed, she was about four years old. The vet thought on excision the lump looked unusual: yellow/grey in some spots, dense and the deeper tissue looked unexpected. Pathology results came back all margins good, complete and it was determined to be a haemangioma. From that point on I kept vigil on her skin & every year the vet examined her for anything unusual by feel....she lived to the ripe old age of 18 with little issue. No further lumps were ever found.

Her sun exposure was not abnormally high (inside dog) but she was a cream/apricot color.

I would be vigilant to keep check on any new lumps/bumps as you are already, seek vet advice on anything unusual. From my experience Id say I wouldnt be stressing yet...but every case is different. Are the lesions looking the same as the one before or is it possibly the start of a contact allergy..some other issue?

• 2 weeks later...