Why Does This Happen?

m-j

Hi

Since becoming a crossover trainer one thing I have noticed is is once I start training (basic obedience) my dogs or any rescues that I have had come through here will just start letting me through the door first when coming from the back yard to inside i.e. they will run to the door and wait for me to get there and then follow me in, rather than running ahead of me and going through the door. Not every single time but certainly the majority of the time. I have never ever trained for this, the only time I do any door training is when I want one dog to go in and the others to stay out and I give the wanted dog permission to go in but the dog goes through the door first.

Not absoluely sure that it is just because I've started training them and are giving them boundries etc (as has been suggested to me elsewhere not this forum) because when I was a traditional trainer the dogs would run through the door first. Just wondering if anyone is able to give me an explanation or point me in a direction that may explain why.

Keeping an eye on the keeper of the good things. ;) If you're a good trainer, those good things might be up for grabs any time. You snooze, you lose. Dogs suddenly have a lot of reasons to keep track of you and make sure they are heading where you're heading.

Maybe.

Keeping an eye on the keeper of the good things. ;)

Yes they do :), but while relevant to the dogs now not so much as a traditional trainer. As an example if I was hanging out washing the dogs would come with me , lie around while I hang it, when i was looking like I was going to go back inside they would get up and race to the back door initially my dogs would tear through the door, now they generally run to back door stop wait for me to catch up and then go through after me. As i have never trained for that I don't get why they are doing it. They rarely throw behaviours at me as I don't shape much and I rarely use stuff I trained for, at home, only when we are out and about.

My Labrador does this too. I thought she was just being polite. Cunning little wretch

The first dog I really noticed this with was a Lab and she wasn't polite, she was a barger, barge her way into anything/where.

I use traditional methods to train. My dog likewise waits for me at the door before entering. Likewise I have never taught this. Although in my own case, I suspect it might have something to do with my clumsiness - though I have no memory of this occurring - it may be the result of my entering the door at the same time as my dog and his getting caught in the doorway. lol.

For others it may be different, indeed their could be as many different reasons as there are dogs.