1. Reverse Sneezing And 2. Hayfever?

Hoping for some advice please :)

1. Saxon has done the reverse sneezing thing on and off his whole life (3 years). He's always tended to do it if he eats or drinks too fast and if he is walked on a collar or even his Puppia harness sometimes (quite high around the neck). He now wears a front attach harness and hasn't had it happen too often.

However over the last couple of days it is happening a lot (several times a day at least) and seemingly when he's not

doing anything much.

Any ideas why this could be happening, and should I get him vet checked?

2. Riley has slightly weepy eyes at the moment and has been sneezing quite a lot yesterday and today. The weepy eyes started a week or two ago and only started when we were at the dog park or training and settled down when we got home. Longer grass has sprung up and is now drying out and blowing seeds around home, so I'm thinking it is some kind of hayfever. Do dogs get that? And again, should I get him vet checked?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Edited by Simply Grand

I'm not sure, but Lili my Aussie has had watery eyes over the last couple of days, no gunk as such, but just some water staining, she never normally has this and I thought it might have been a hayfever/allergy thing?

My other dog Mo has been quite itchy (he gets itchy and often gets allergic conjuntivitis during Spring). I think it's just allergies, probably the same with your two but maybe get them both checked out to be sure?

Simply Grand,

We have a beagle and at this time of year last year and again this year she has had terrible allergies with reverse sneezing fits and runny eyes. Frustratingly the reverse sneezing fits are almost always in the middle of the night when she is relaxed and sleeping and as she sleeps in our room it affects all of us.

Last year she ended up with a secondary infection and spent most of summer on and off of antibiotics, cortisone and antihistamines to control it. This year the very first time I heard it I put her straight onto antihistamines and all going well we seem to be controlling it ok. Unlike last year when we weren't sure if it was allergies, this time I have been giving her an antihistamine every day and not just when it seems like she needs one. It seems if we let it go too long it takes a few days of antihistamines to settle it back down again. This year it started within a few days of the episodes last ear so we are assuming there must be something airborne that will last until mid January.

I would suggest a vet check though in case of some sort of obstruction (eg grass seed) if it has increased suddenly or in case fo a secondary infection like Jessi had.

I can answer you on the hayfever front first hand. A few years ago my dog was 3 and started this huge sneezing act, it would go on for a few minutes where he would almost hit his head on the ground.

I took him to the vet because i thought it was a grass seed, but they told me if it was he wouldnt stop sneezing. I found out that I can use generic anti histomines but you have to use a certain type that has been tested with dogs, not a random brand. I used it for my dog while I had hayfever and it seemed to reduce his symptoms and red eyes.

The trick is finding a vet who knows about this and is willing to tell you. Good luck.