Tips For The Older Dog.

Loki is a 10 year old Shiba inu which is getting on a bit for the breed (12-15 years average)Apart from seasonal allergies which render him bald for a month or two each year and developing cataracts he is fine. His slow loss of eyesight led to massive anxiety issues and a whole heap of other fun things including food guarding and freaking out at nightime/thunderstorms ect. We have worked with this and he is fed seperately and has a nightlight when it gets dark and has made a huge difference to his mindset.

But I want to know what to look for now. He has a vet check once a year when vaccinated. Everything comes up clear and his teeth are good. But should he be getting a more thorough check up? Are there certain tests that are standard for the oldies? Should there be things the vet needs to be looking at now?

I would get an exam done specific to his age. Geriatric blood panel, urine tests, thorough physical exam. There are various calming medications you could discuss with his vet, too, if a cataract operation is out of the question. Around the house, make sure he has a clear path. My sister's dog had cataracts and she had matting around the house that her dog used as a guide to get around.

Edited by Sheridan