Raw Feeders

koolietas

Just wondering if any raw feeders out there follow the Yin Yang protocols?

I have a Yang imbalanced sheltie whom I'd like to try to correct by feeding cooling (Yin) foods. The only protein listing I can locate for cool foods are duck and rabbit so there doesn't seem to be much variance...

Anyone that has followed these protocols - did you notice changes in your dog?

My shepherd was diagnosed as to yang (too much heat) and the holistic vet recommended in addition to the meats you mentioned chicken and lots of raw vegies - some of which are more yin than others. She wrote it all out for me and I will find the list and send it to you.

Speaking to my naturopath, one of the best yin foods you can make is a whole chicken boiled/simmered in filtered water, with some vegetables added. Once the chicken is cooked, remove the meat from the bone and add the meat back into the water and thats the base for all meals.

When our Shepherd x was diagnosed with mandibular osteosarcoma we consulted a holistic vet who advocated a diet of cooling foods for cancer patients. The cancer had already metastasised to the lungs.

I devised Rogan's diet around the information in the websites below which contain food charts for yin/yan balance:

http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/yinyanbalance.htm

http://www.herbsmithinc.com/Home/Education/FoodCharts/default.asp#coolingfoods

Rabbit, roo & duck were the meat components of his diet, chicken was off limits as it is warming. The cooling foods were tempered with neutral foods as you want a varied a diet as possible.

Kangaroo is considered a neutral meat, as is beef. I also fed raw salmon which is neutral, but other fish should be fed cooked.

I have always fed raw, well for over 25 years at least, so Rogan's diet was not vastly different after his diagnosis in that respect, I just changed the protein source & made sure any vegetables or supplements were not warming or heating.

Rogan had wonderful quality of life for the remaining four months he was with us. He looked healthy & was full of vitality so I can only assume the diet did its job in supporting the immune system. Finally the tumour grew so large he put his tooth through it chomping on a rabbit he had caught. The bleeding could not be stopped so we had no option but to send him on his way over the bridge. He was a dog 'til the end, though, doing what he loved best :cry:

Edited by trifecta

Thanks everyone for your replies :-)

Everything that I have read so far indicates chicken as a warming food - so not a source of protein I will feed on a regular basis.

So - at this stage, I will trial on rabbit and duck as the cooling foods, plus roo, quail, pork and beef as neutral foods. I feed prey model style, so do not feed veg, fruit, grains etc.

Will be interesting to see what difference I see. He has recently been eating lamb and chicken every 2nd or 3rd meal, so by removing these warming foods, I'm hoping that will help his heat intolerance.

When our Shepherd x was diagnosed with mandibular osteosarcoma we consulted a holistic vet who advocated a diet of cooling foods for cancer patients. The cancer had already metastasised to the lungs.

I devised Rogan's diet around the information in the websites below which contain food charts for yin/yan balance:

http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/yinyanbalance.htm

http://www.herbsmithinc.com/Home/Education/FoodCharts/default.asp#coolingfoods

Rabbit, roo & duck were the meat components of his diet, chicken was off limits as it is warming. The cooling foods were tempered with neutral foods as you want a varied a diet as possible.

Kangaroo is considered a neutral meat, as is beef. I also fed raw salmon which is neutral, but other fish should be fed cooked.

I have always fed raw, well for over 25 years at least, so Rogan's diet was not vastly different after his diagnosis in that respect, I just changed the protein source & made sure any vegetables or supplements were not warming or heating.

Rogan had wonderful quality of life for the remaining four months he was with us. He looked healthy & was full of vitality so I can only assume the diet did its job in supporting the immune system. Finally the tumour grew so large he put his tooth through it chomping on a rabbit he had caught. The bleeding could not be stopped so we had no option but to send him on his way over the bridge. He was a dog 'til the end, though, doing what he loved best :cry:

Sorry for your loss trifecta :-(

Sounds like Rogan enjoyed life right to the very end :-)

Thank you for your condolences, koolietas :)

Maybe pop back into this thread in 6 weeks or so & let us know if there have been any changes in your dog?

Will do!

Think I will have fun sourcing some of the proteins (duck and quail in particular) - rabbit and roo are easy, and he eats these several times a week already. I managed to get a whole fresh duck last night $22 which will give me 4 meals for him. Quail I'll look for in the next few days...