Earliest Time

dasha

I am a little bit excited and have a few anxious new puppy buyers keen to know if my bitch is pregnant.

So I am wondering what is the earliest time into pregnancy would I be able to get her palpated or scanned to see if she is or not.

Obviously numbers aren't important, I just want to know Yes or No.LOL

TO get the whelping area ready or not!

So would palpation be best or ultrasound?

She is a working Border Collie so not fat. Is quite slender and would be easy to feel inside.

She would be 3 weeks tomorrow from date of first mating.

21-28 is very common to have ultrasounds done.

The later you leave it (after 28-35 days) the harder it is to get numbers.

With that said numbers are this stage are nothing as they are often counter twice or absorbed later on.

Dasha,

we did my Kelpie girl at 23days, we could see lots of little balls in there but the vets numbers were btw 5-8 puppies. So a bit variation. My vet like to u/s at 35days as he finds that a good time to get more accurate numbers.

I did ask a couple but they all had different answers LOL

That is why I figured ask and go with what your vet is comfortable with :)

I believe (and someone with more knowledge than me can answer this) that the sensitivity of the machine and the experience of the scanner can impact this. Mine says 23 days but before 30 for a more accurate count ans they have been right with mine both times.

Thanks.

The numbers don't worry me at all.

I just want to know yes or no, as do a lot of other people!

I might ring a bigger vet place down the road that are breeeers too and they may be better at it than my usual vet

I believe (and someone with more knowledge than me can answer this) that the sensitivity of the machine and the experience of the scanner can impact this. Mine says 23 days but before 30 for a more accurate count ans they have been right with mine both times.

Very true.

Dasha,

go to Robert Zammit at Vineyard Vet. They have very good equipment and experienced vets that will quickly tell you yes or no. I usually go at around day 24 ish for ultrasound, but no hard and fast rule except not before day 21.

If you want to know numbers, have them xray your girl when she is 8 weeks and you will get a pretty accurate count.

Thanks Miss Danni,

Was going to call them and ask. THey are only 5 mins away.

Otherwise I hear Quakers Hill is ok.

I won't worry about numbers just yay or nay.

Quakers Hill have a good reputation with repro work so should have a good ultrasound and experienced vets.