Snooker Courses

sheena

I want to put a few ANKC Snooker courses together for my Novice/Intermediate agility class. I have plenty of normal courses but my mind has gone a blank on this one. Anyone know where I can get hold of a couple of course maps ?

I want to put a few ANKC Snooker courses together for my Novice/Intermediate agility class. I have plenty of normal courses but my mind has gone a blank on this one. Anyone know where I can get hold of a couple of course maps ?

It is not that difficult to devise your own. Just make up a short course (2-3-4-5-6-7) that is reasonably flowing then add in the 3 or 4 red jumps.

Cheers,

Are there any particular obstacles that you would put into most of your snooker courses...like 12 weave poles etc, or can it be just any of the obstacles.

I do not have any particular favourites to use - it is a good idea to have at least 1 contact obstacle, and also you make the larger points more difficult to score on, or slower to negotiate so that it becomes more diffic ult to go for 3 x sevens. That way you force the competitors to think a bit about their tactics.

Cheers,

I think 12 weave poles in the closing sequence for novice snooker is a bit mean!

But i've seen it done a few times. At least there's no refusals in games so it doesn't matter if you miss the entry (multiple times!)

I think 12 poles in the closing sequence is a bit mean too, even though I had a few when I was in novice. Think I will just put a contact in the Novice & give the next group up the weaves. After all it is mainly an exercise to teach the group how to run Snooker & what the rules are...don't want to frighten them off. :)

I think 12 weave poles in the closing sequence for novice snooker is a bit mean!

But i've seen it done a few times. At least there's no refusals in games so it doesn't matter if you miss the entry (multiple times!)

A judge, when making up thier course, would expect competitors to be able to negotiate any of the required obstacles. 12 weave poles are an expected obstacle in novice agility, so why not novice snooker? The beauty of snooker is that, to a large degree you can choose your own course, so if your weaving is weak, you can choose not to do it at all in the opening sequence, and you only need to do it once in the closing sequence.

I have entered snooker, before a dog was a competent weaver - you just hope that on this occasion the judge does not use the weaves. But equally, there are others that hope that there is no dog walk or scramble, becasue the dog has a weak contact performance, or no spread, becasue their dog tends to know spreads.

So it all averages out in the end.

Cheers,

I haven't entered snooker yet - the first trial I entered it in was cancelled. I would have no problem with the weaves being in novice. My biggest concern is being able to make some sort of flow in the course for my dog, so the placement of obstacles and the reds are more important to me, I am not out to do maximum score.

Biggest thing in snooker is to be able to get your dog to run PAST obstacles which it would normally take, which is a bit hard for dogs that are very obstacle focused. I have taught my girl that when I call her to "side" that she comes to my side & runs with me past the obstacles till I give her another command. It works most times...I just have a bit of trouble making the SCT (set course time) :cry:

The course time for novice is usually very generous.

Recently I got a pass in snooker even though my dog ran out of the ring, and missed her weave entry several times!

Because it is points that count and it was a very small class, she even managed to come 1st with this poor performance!

I'm going to have trouble should we ever get into excellent or masters though.

She is getting much better at actually listening to me and not running off and donig whatever obstacles she feels like though so perhaps there is hope...

I think the thing with weaves is that novice dogs are generally not that great with them- sure there are some amazing weavers in novice out there but they are the exception.

My dog is fine once she gets in, its just getting the correct entry which is our issue. Although happily for us, that doesn't really matter in games!

The course time for novice is usually very generous.

Recently I got a pass in snooker even though my dog ran out of the ring, and missed her weave entry several times!

Because it is points that count and it was a very small class, she even managed to come 1st with this poor performance!

I'm going to have trouble should we ever get into excellent or masters though.

She is getting much better at actually listening to me and not running off and donig whatever obstacles she feels like though so perhaps there is hope...

I think the thing with weaves is that novice dogs are generally not that great with them- sure there are some amazing weavers in novice out there but they are the exception.

My dog is fine once she gets in, its just getting the correct entry which is our issue. Although happily for us, that doesn't really matter in games!

I am in Exc. & finding the time really tight. Bindi & I are making it but only just. I am dreading having to go into Masters....I will have to get myself a bit fitter & lose a bit of weight :eek: Seems I make that new year's resolution every year :laugh: Maybe I should "do it for the dog" :)

I am in Exc. & finding the time really tight. Bindi & I are making it but only just. I am dreading having to go into Masters....I will have to get myself a bit fitter & lose a bit of weight :eek: Seems I make that new year's resolution every year :laugh: Maybe I should "do it for the dog" :)

Or just get a little cleverer about the course you choose - lower points may give you a shorter course - perhpas a little less likely to win, but more certain of a quallie.