Tcik Flea Teatments Whats Working Atm.

Tapua

Anyone from the Bega area??

Should we use any tick prevention before heading there?

Thank you

BB

Call a vet in the area you are going to and ask them about ticks.

I second that. When we went to Moruya the vet there was happy to talk about preventatives before we went, and he knew the people we were staying with and their dogs too :thumbsup:

I'd use the Advantix a week before and a collar while there (while the dogs aren't actually in the water) but also a thorough check with your fingers and eyes all over, twice a day. Take a very thorough stock of all lumps, tags and moles so you know them before hand. Have metho and tweezers ready just in case (unless there's more modern ideas about removal?).

Don't forget to check yourselves as well!

Tapua you know your dogs so well, if one of them scratches funny you'll be checking! Don't forget to relax and have fun!

I travel to Queensland regularly and always apply advantix before we go. Never had a problem. Advantix is more effective than frontline, but nothing is 100% effective.

The most important thing is to check the dogs at least once, preferrably twice a day, and that means every tiny part of the dog. Remove the tick, but still take them to a vet ASAP. Removal alone is not always enough, it depends on how much toxin has gotten into the dog.

Advantix is water resistant, but I still do not allow my dog to get wet while it is still wet. It can be used on any dog from 7 weeks of age. Just might be expensive to do, as you would need a different weight packet.

Advantix does cover other flying insects, sand flys and stuff as well.

I second the idea of calling local vets. If tick infestations are really bad, some are now recommending both spot on's and tick collars. They are the ones who will know best, they deal with them day in, day out.

Frontline and/or Frontline Plus are supposed to both do fleas - I thought it was just the Plus but if you read the jacket for the original it says it covers it too. The truth is both of them are absolutely useless for ticks, and I don't find them that effective for fleas either. We lived just north of Sydney for a while, and got two ticks while using the products.

Have used advantix in the past, but now use tick collars when it is tick season and we are in tick prone areas, in combination with daily tick checks. No matter what you use that is the key, to check EVERYWHERE for ticks diligently. That's my experience anyway.

Any of the current available tick products are not 100% water fast. If your dog spends a lot of time swimming or has regular baths, it will wash off some of the active ingredient decreasing its effectiveness. Does not matter whether you go frontline, advantage etc.

If, while on holidays, your dog is going to be doing a lot of swimming, nothing beats regular physical checks. Even if it not going swimming, nothing beats regular checks. Talk to any number of vets where ticks are prevalent and they will all tell you stories of dogs coming in with tick paralysis while being on some form of tick preventative..

To rely on any of the tick formulas for total tick prevention is stupid and courting an expensive trip to the vet for treatment.

Wile some on here can say they use XYZ product and found/claim they never had a tick problem, there will be someone else who can tell you they use a tick product properly and still end up with their dogs at the vet on a drip and hundreds of dollars poorer, just for the sake of not doing regular checks of their animals and relying on the tick formula.

Edit: I live in an extreme paralysis tick environment and the advice from our vets who treat plenty of cases daily is no product is guaranteed and should be relied on exclusively

Also. Ensure you read the information leaflet in the product you buy. It provides some very useful information on the product.

Edited by Mystiqview