Pets And Strata

dougal

For some time now I have been looking at purchasing an investment property, with an option to use at a later date. I have been looking for over 12 months and have found the response of strata bodies to be disgraceful. The latest response I have received when enquiring is "in relation to pets.....no dogs. No noisy pets."

I understand different landlords may not want pets and thus it is difficult to rent, but I have been quite shocked at the response on the purchase side as well. A number of agents have suggested challenging the position, but for me, it's not a good way to start out a neighbourly relationship. Has anybody else had a similar experience? challenged their strata body? I am looking at villas and townhouses, with yards etc, ie suitable for my dogs, not even trying to have a dog in an apartment. :(

I happen to live in a newish strata property (townhouse) and got my pet approval within a week. Also, I was allowed to keep my dog while waiting for a approval which was basically formality. Both the neighbours and the strata management have been very accommodating. I say, keep looking for property with better strata policy. If they are impossibly strict on pets, who knows what other areas they might be strict about?

I wouldn't risk it.

Strata bodies can change too over a period of time. A strata might allow a pet (one dog say) at one stage when you purchase, and then, over time, the committee changes, new people move in and don't want pets anywhere and manage to get it put to a vote and then pets are no longer

allowed at all - except where they are already there. So no new pets. If you managed to find a strata that allowed pets today, it is no guarantee that by the time you might want to move in that it will still allow them.

I've heard of it happening.

Torrens title..... way to go. (Which I know isn't an option very often for investment)

What does Torrens title mean? We don't have that term here.

Dougal, my house is a dual occupancy, I own mine and the other is rented. They are strata titled as we share water and sewerage supply and a bit of common driveway but there is only me and one other owner so makes negotiation easier. Also, our strata is divided 52/48% because of land size so if you got a larger share you would technically have more say than the other owner in a disagreement. I dont know if there are any around where you are looking but just a thought.

You would have Torrens Title - it is the system where land is registered with the Land Titles office (in that state) and guarantees the ownership of the land to whomever it is registered under. It is used in every state and around the world. Basically - if you have a house which is just Torrens Title (and not strata etc) then you are the owner of that parcel of land only - and so there are no other interests in that piece of land. It therefore means you can make your own rules (as long as they fit with council laws etc). I am not explaining it well - easier to google it.

I live in a little townhouse with lots of other townhouses in my street. At the other end of the street are a series of townhouses on the one block. They are all strata title (and have rules etc about pets, common gardens etc), our section of townhouses are torrens title - each on their own little block of land. It means that my little piece of land, not just the house, is mine with noone else having an interest on it. It does mean I am then responsible for the upkeep of everything (building and garden etc), but then, I don't pay strata fees.

We challenged our strata (we're renters) as we were given permission by our landlord. The by-laws stated that pets were allowed with permission from strata and that they couldn't refuse any reasonable request. As we have a 60m2 grassed backyard in our ground floor flat we argued the point that it wasn't unreasonable to have a dog.

they originally said no and we asked to go to mediation to argue our case, they refused again and we said we would take legal action - they had an emergency meeting and gave us permission.

There is one nasty old lady in the strata comittee who hated us from the get go, but none of the other members had a problem with it. We get along with them all now except the nasty old lady! Our dog has never made a peep!

I have a friend who just bought off the plan in St Leonards and their by-law was dogs under 11kg allowed...

Wow ....Glad you got there in the end skully. :thumbsup:

On reflection I was wondering how the strata that said "no noisy pets", would cope with noisy children! Hope somebody with six kids under 10 moves in :D

• 2 weeks later...

was speaking with a real estate friend the other day and the topic of strata came up.....

apparently, the default for strata, unless the body corporate declares otherwise, is no pets in strata titled properties.

Thought that was interesting. Doesn't mean that the body corporate can't set up their strata to have pets, but unless that is done, the default is no pets.

Obviously pet owners need to check the strata for that building when purchasing.

That's really interesting jr_inoz. I also get the feeling that it depends on the secretary or representative of the body corporate that speaks to the RE agent at the time. Another response was, "we don't have any pets here, but maybe be could look at one" (I have two).