Travelling With Pets Overseas

Prinsesse

Does anyone know what the quarantine period is for a dog coming back to Australia after being in Greece for two years.

My Dally is almost three and i would like to take her to Greece with me for a couple of years but i'm worried about the length of time she will need to be kept in quarantine when we get back. Can anyone help with this query...cheers,

Check the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS) Website. They have a whole section on importing pets from other countries. Requirements vary depending on where the dog is imported from.

Right now its a minimum of 30 days, but some countries its longer. As rebanne said, it may be 10days by the time you are ready to come back, but there are a lot of tests you have to get done before your dog can come back, and rules are getting tougher and tougher. Plus the money side of it. I just imported a pup from England. He had to be 9 months old before he could come over and had just over 1000$ of vet stuff. Plus his flight was 5000$ and that was just the one way!! (he was about 26kg at the time) quarantine cost 1305$ for 30 days plus application fees, but if it changes to 10 days it shouldn't cost that much. Its also quite a strain to place on your dog.

Edited by kyliedelonge

Don't forget the tests required before departure and all the AQIS paperwork etc prior to flight. Getting out is easy part getting back in is whole different story. This is info as it currently stands, bare in mind that if during your stay overseas there is any type of outbreak in europe then this would shed total new light on reimportation. also by when you are intending to travel one only quarrantine centre will be established in victoria :(

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=Greece

Does anyone know what the quarantine period is for a dog coming back to Australia after being in Greece for two years.

My Dally is almost three and i would like to take her to Greece with me for a couple of years but i'm worried about the length of time she will need to be kept in quarantine when we get back. Can anyone help with this query...cheers,

As recommended by others, check DAFF / AQIS website. Also phone them up if you have any queries. When I brought Puppy back from Vietnam in 2003, I was on the phone to AQIS almost every other day. They got to know me quite well! Her situation was way more complicated than Greece because Vietnam isn't recognised by AQIS, isn't an Australian Category country when it comes to quarantine. Therefore she had to go via a category country first for six months, then to Australia for a 30days. I chose Singapore and after initial stress (caused to myself than to Puppy), all went well. She had to abide by Singapore's Quarantine laws, which was 30days, then she was in kennels for 5months, then to Sydney for 30days. Yes it is tough on them, but wouldn't have it any other way (she would've been soup if I left her - and I'm not joking). She's 10 now.

AQIS do their best and I sincerely believe they care for the dogs. They know it's essentially the precious, loved dogs that go through quarantine - owners prepared to spend the big bikkies (for Puppy, I stopped counting when it got to $10k). They are better now with dog walking services, etc (these didn't exist when Puppy was in Sydney quarantine, did in Singapore).

30 days is reasonable - especially as your dog will still be youngish when you return (around five). Think about it - that most dogs can manage 21+ days in a kennel. Mine were in a 'pet resort' recently for 18 days and seemed to enjoy it. The stress was my doing (and I was concerned that Puppy would think she was returning to 'quarantine'). Sometimes I think they can manage it better than us!

When you return - try to see your dog during the visits and then take old blankets, jumpers, tshirts - things that smell of you. This comforts them.

And yes, a challenge or potential risk could be an outbreak of something. But as Mama Moocher (aka Danny's Darling) said in another post - sometimes we over analyse. Puppy was incredibly luck as she left Hanoi just after Avian Flu and only weeks before SARS outbreak (and Hanoi was a source area). She wouldn't have been able to get out if I left it later. I was strategic and got her out so it timed with my return to Australia. I suspect the biggest risk in Greece will be fiscal related - not dog related!

There will be a vet or two (in Sydney? is that where you are based?) who deals with export of animals, and they may also help. So will others at DFAT and even the Aussie Embassy in Athens. I know dogs that came back from Bosnia, Paris, Solomon's; Indonesia, etc; cats from Sri Lanka, etc - there's a real network in DFAT.

Hope this helps.