Surgery On The Patella

WOW Catzatsea, that's an icky looking rash :D . Was it a reaction to the adhesive on the bandage? The op scar is not too bad, seems so long though. Suggestion for the e-collar, hook up some wires and use him as a sattelite dish :( . Hope he comes good quick but if you need a shoulder to cry on join Orthodogs on Yahoo, heaps of good advice and support (you can even find some posts from me there). Here's the link, just click on the "Join this group" button when you get there: Orthodogs Group.

cheers,

Corine

O spud definately didnt grasp the thou shall not walk lecture!!! ;)

I have to say after two mutilated e-collars this one seems to have got the better of him.... for the moment :( .

Corine I have joined the group it was fairly easy already holding a yahoo ID, I am just sifting through now as we speak and there does seem to be some good hints in there!! :(

We think the rash is an allergic reaction combined with the constant friction of him prancing around thinking he was normal (yes he was confined for 80% of his day)he wasnt licking excessively due to some wonderful vet strength anti lick that with the conjuction to the cream that was administered 5 times a day.

I also was amazed on how big the op scare was I have to admit I was prepared for maybe a 2-3 inch scare not around 7 inches - the vet that perfomed the op is currently on leave and unfortunately will have to wait until he gets back to get the answers.

Edited to ad - see the tape on the e-collar that is definately covered with Anti-Lick, one is leaving NOTHING to chance!!! :D

Edited by catzatsea

Ok I just ran away and got a pic of the scar in its entirety is this normal???

:( As I said I was expecting at least half the size :D

NOTE that it goes all the way up his thigh. ;)

post-22-1113474223.jpg

Edited by catzatsea

WHOA!!! that's huge

i'm sure the vet has good reason, perhaps they decided to do something higher with the tendon or ligament???? Keeping in mind they were wishing to get is done before they went on leave so maybe it was real bad???? :D

OBviously Spud isn't too bothered by it huh? ;)

Hope the vet is back soon to provide details. :(

Hi Catzatsea,

I am glad you like Orthodogs, it's been very informative. My boy had a Cranial Closing Wedge Osteotomy (similar to a TPLO) so I don't know what is normal for Patella surgery. I didn't take a photo of the scar as it was on the inside of his leg and quite small. Ask the question on Orthodogs, there is sure to be someone there who has the answers. Don't fret, it will heal.

cheers,

Corine

Thius is where I said "horrific" or something like that when I was describoing Mimi's post-op scar. It made me want to weep and the leg was so swollen. So, from what I've seen, looks normal. Swelling comes down with time and it doesn't look so bad in a week or so. It's a pretty major op though.

My youngest Chihuahua had his operation mid December and it took about two months before he willingly walked on it again. It didn’t swell up that much. Our vet advised us to use warm saltwater compresses (pressing firmly and move the leg) and moisturiser to stop the itching when the fur grows back again. (sorry about the english) :rofl:

Edited by de108r