Variations In Diet For Puppy

Sg1suzi

Hi

My 16 week old corgi x currently has a combination of big dog BARF patties ( small amount morning and night) plus he has raw meaty bones maybe 3 times a week as a substitute for one of his BARF meals, and I also leave Kibble out for him, but he usually just picks at that if we are out at work etc.

My question is, is it. Okay to give him other stuff, such as can I give him some sardines instead of his BARF one day, also can I maybe use VAN with some raw meat if I have some extra when I'm making dinner. I don't want to upset him by varying foods with him only being a puppy, but so far he seems to have a pretty settled stomach.

Thanks

We have just recently got our new puppy, shes 12 weeks old today :)

We are feeding her a raw diet as per her breeders feeding instructions.

On it is which can be given a few times a week (just less her other food when giving the extras ) includes sardines (tuna etc), chicken necks, egg yolk, natural yoghurt and sometimes if I can get them chicken hearts (haven't done them yet)

Shes allowed occasionally natural treats..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

IMO variety is great for an average healthy puppy provided

a) it's sensible ie don't give him left over chilli or a whole feed of pork belly

b) it's done 'considerately' so to speak ie if he gets scraps and bits and pieces for lunch, give him a more bland dinner

c) every new thing is introduced with a small piece first then wait and see so if the pup reacts badly

d) the owner pays attention to how the pup reacts to new foods - pay attention to poo, skin, itches etc

e) the diet is basically well balanced for a dog ie swapping a raw meaty bone for sardines is great, swapping a raw meaty bone for pasta isn't.

Hi

My 16 week old corgi x currently has a combination of big dog BARF patties ( small amount morning and night) plus he has raw meaty bones maybe 3 times a week as a substitute for one of his BARF meals, and I also leave Kibble out for him, but he usually just picks at that if we are out at work etc.

My question is, is it. Okay to give him other stuff, such as can I give him some sardines instead of his BARF one day, also can I maybe use VAN with some raw meat if I have some extra when I'm making dinner. I don't want to upset him by varying foods with him only being a puppy, but so far he seems to have a pretty settled stomach.

Thanks

[/quote

What do you call a raw meaty bone? Is it one that your pup can eat entirely as in the chicken necks, wings or chicken carcass (at this stage later on your pup can be fed bones such as baby veal ribs or lambs necks etc.) or is is a bone that your pup can just chew on? The bones that are totally consumed are part of the calcium intake. In my feeding program a raw meaty bone is fed in the morning and in the evening meal the meat part of the diet is fed along with the yoghurt, egg or cottage cheese. There are days when the sardine takes the place of meat. They also get offal such as kidney, liver etc. and I never clean out the chicken carcass except for excess fat and skin.

You can feed him anything you want, being sensible of course. The way to ensure his tummy doesn't get upset is to give the usual food & a very small amount of the new food mixed in.

Gradually increase the amount of new food daily until you can give it alone if you like.

Only introduce one new food at a time or you won't know which is the problem food if there is a problem.