Small Breed Older Dog Suitable For An Old Man's Companion?

Mita, we had people come and look at one of our dogs ... they were very active retired people, but the wife's frail, elderly mother lived with them. The husband really wanted a big dog, but they were concerned for the elderly lady. After a couple of visits to a couple of dogs we suggested a Greyhound, so they went off to GAP, found a lovely Grey who was not only big enough for the husband to be happy with, but was good for the older woman because she could use the big dog as a prop for when she was a bit unsteady on her feet.

I agree greys are an option for the elderly. Man next door loves his own greyhounds. In his public service job, he had to call at the home of an elderly lady. When she opened the door, standing next to her was a huge greyhound. Seems it was a similar situation to what you described.

Elderly lady's family had contacts in greyhound racing & had arranged for the adoption (& were more than willing responsible back-ups).

The grey was a happy couch potato (a young person came by to give it a daily walk) and was a prop to hold on to.

Our neighbour also said just the sight of a large dog standing beside her might also put off someone who'd come to her door for no good purposes (& who didn't know too much about how unaggressive it really was)

It's all about matching person & circumstances & preferences to a dog. In some cases, a sweet little bloke like Tigger might be preferred for various reasons. (Ah, Tigs you have my heart & a few more, too. :) ) Or another type of small dog.

Edited by mita

He's just gorgeous :D He's a lovely old man, just trotted around being cute with his little tongue hanging out the side of his mouth :laugh: He doesn't have m/any teeth left so his tongue pops out and makes him even more adorable! I just love old dogs, and his face is all white - he's just a total lover. Dutifully followed me to the toilet and sat there smiling. You know. :D

ETA - I didn't see him to enquire about adopting! I just met him cause I'm lucky :D He's not coming home with me, don't worry!

Edited by Alkhe

Dutifully followed me to the toilet and sat there smiling. You know. :D

Ha ha ha - well do we know. But he is protective little soul too and has to make sure that all goes well in there :laugh:

Do you still have any fosters for RWL?

Yeah, we still have the Pancho man! Who has weaseled his way into my heart, the little bugger! :o Alas, I have to choose between failing and continuing to foster, so I have to put the greater good ahead of my own selfish desires and just pretend that he's mine until the right home comes along :)

Dutifully followed me to the toilet and sat there smiling. You know. :D

Ha ha ha - well do we know. But he is protective little soul too and has to make sure that all goes well in there :laugh:

Do you still have any fosters for RWL?

Yeah, we still have the Pancho man! Who has weaseled his way into my heart, the little bugger! :o Alas, I have to choose between failing and continuing to foster, so I have to put the greater good ahead of my own selfish desires and just pretend that he's mine until the right home comes along :)

And that is the best you can do :thumbsup: