Is Suprelorin 100% Effective?

Red Fox

It works in a different way - by blocking the release of hormones and is primarily used for sterilisation of males rather than females (though can be used in females).

It is very effective when it is active but there is some variation in the time to maximal efficacy and the length of action.

• Like 1

It works in a different way - by blocking the release of hormones and is primarily used for sterilisation of males rather than females (though can be used in females).

It is very effective when it is active but there is some variation in the time to maximal efficacy and the length of action.

So there is no failure rate when active? - say 3-4 months into a 12 month implant

I've not heard of any failures in that time frame, but it is certainly possible in the first 6 weeks or so and possibly the last month or more - though mostly in cases where I have used it specifically for chemical sterilisation the effect has been longer than the implants typical period of action (6 or 12 months). Since it suppresses the production of testosterone and this in turn inhibits production of sperm, and it's a long term suppression rather than the a daily pill the effect is chemical sterilisation, rather than a 'contraceptive' as such.

There is more information on the Peptech website.

I've not heard of any failures in that time frame, but it is certainly possible in the first 6 weeks or so and possibly the last month or more - though mostly in cases where I have used it specifically for chemical sterilisation the effect has been longer than the implants typical period of action (6 or 12 months). Since it suppresses the production of testosterone and this in turn inhibits production of sperm, and it's a long term suppression rather than the a daily pill the effect is chemical sterilisation, rather than a 'contraceptive' as such.

I recently had a quick trip to vets after we had an "incident" in the back yard, bitch was spot on, dog had done the deed but had no sperm. Vet said implanted dogs are known to mate. Dead loss to me, I need a disinterested dog, in future I will just keep them apart with no chemical interference, waste of time and money and playing with my dogs' health.

Thanks for the info Rappie

I did find this last night http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/veterinary/000109/WC500068832.pdf

which suggests that the implant can take up to 90 days to become effective. It also suggest that the effect lasts longer than 12 months in most dogs.

I could not find anything to suggest any percentage of failure rate though once effective.

I recently had a quick trip to vets after we had an "incident" in the back yard, bitch was spot on, dog had done the deed but had no sperm. Vet said implanted dogs are known to mate. Dead loss to me, I need a disinterested dog, in future I will just keep them apart with no chemical interference, waste of time and money and playing with my dogs' health.

My male was not interested in my female during her last heat at all (at the time he was 2-3 months into a 6 month implant). This time he showed absolutely no interest until yesterday (day 15). And by this afternoon seems to be over it again. No pacing or whining though and not overly determined to get to her. He is currently 3 months into a 12 month implant.

I do think it lowers their interest and is a good back up in preventing an unwanted breeding if they do get to each other. But would still supervise and separate as necessary regardless of the implant.

My boy had a 12 mth implant, it's been 19 mths now and I'm thinking it is starting to wear off, maybe.....testes appear a bit bigger but not back to normal. Tried to get a collection in November and no interest whatsoever. I have had two bitches here in season and ran him with them and he showed no interest at all.

My boy is almost at 2 years past implantation. He is interested in the girls but is still not fertile. (ran him with my last girl in season and no puppies resulted ). I'm hoping he will be ok to use when my next girl is due in as it's a mating I've had planed for for years.

Would not recommend it to anyone wanting to use their dog in their breeding program.

Edited by bel