Flea Allergy?!?

Our dogs get Sentinel Spectrum every month, and if I see them itching or see a flea I give them a Capstar. I have only ever found one flea on one of them and brushed it off as a random passenger as we've never had a problem.

Over the past couple of days I noticed Mosley chewing at the base of his tail....I touched it and I can feel a scab under there. I know this is a common spot for flea allergy, but I'm wondering if just one or two bites could cause this as he definitely isn't crawling with them or anything.

I don't know if I should take him to the vet or just give him a Capstar and keep the scab clean till it heals, and maybe change him onto a different flea preventative?

Opinions?

Edited by Aussie3

A couple of bites without a resident flea can cause a lot of itching and scratching which in turn leads to scabs. You're right that the base of the tail is a common spot. If you've got a Capstar on hand now then use it but at least for the next month or so use a flea treatment that kills adults in the longer term. A luke warm bath and a good skin massage might help to relieve some of the itching.

I haven't had too much of a problem with fleas lately, until the other day that is when Annie started to itch and bite. When she looks like she's been bitten then I'll give her a capstar and bathe her in calendula tea, and use pure aloe vera for any skin redness at the base of her tail. Most of the time this works for her, but occasionally if it gets worse and the skin becomes infected then we're off to the vet.