Kennel Setups/dog Runs

Lemonlime

We need to set up a row of concreted dog runs on our new property. It will be in a non shaded area so we will need to look into shade solutions and attaching sheds to the runs. I want the runs to be attached to a large grassed exercise area.

I could really use some inspiration and ideas. We want practicality and SAFETY on a budget.

We will be getting someone to build these, there is no way I would even attempt it :laugh:

Can anyone post photos of their kennels/dog run set up?

If you can afford it, a pergola or similar over the runs is likely your best option for shade. Shade is one of the things I struggle with with mine and this is something I plan on building so I have something more permanent. We are in a high wind area though. If you are not, installing shade sails over the runs works fairly well (that is what we do - but the wind is just too much for them at times). Or use silver shade covers which you can get made to order if ready-made ones dont fit.

Another thing I would suggest is make sure you take a look at the requirements regarding housing/runs for dog breeders in your State Govt regs. Pays to be sure you are in compliance before you build in case you have to adjust things - easier to do before rather than after.

post-23842-0-86870600-1363447198_thumb.jpg

Make a consideration to the direction you place your pens......and consider planting decidious trees on the sunny side..... Trees create much cooler shade for the dogs as they love hanging out under the trees - Ornamental Pears are fast growing and give great shade after about 3-4 years - for the initial period till the trees grew we just ran cheap shade cloth over the top of the runs to give some shade area for summer.

My outdoor runs get the afternoon sun - which is shaded by the trees in Summer but then because they are decidious the pens get a much sun as possible in Winter which really helps to keep the pens clean and dry. Our outside area of the pens are made from Lilydale Toppings (white gravel type sand) the dogs love to lay on the warm sand in winter and isnt as hot as concrete for summer. The wind, rain and sun aide to clean the sand naturally and droppings are easy to collect instead of mushing down on the concrete. Dogs also prefer to go to the toilet outside on the sand.

We also have soaker hose run along the end of the fence and on hot days turn this on for about 20 minutes before the dogs come back in and this mists the pens and cools everything, also leaves the sand moist for a long time.

We are also lucky to have placed them where they get a good breeze thru, I can open the door at each end on warm days and really helps to vent the pens which means we don't have strong smell.

Best of luck.

Edited by alpha bet