Rough Play Fight Compatibility

ziggyboy

Thank you for all your comments. I have read them all and have taken them on board. For the meantime I have decided to think about it for a while, get to meet more dogs at dog parks do more research. It has only been recently that I have gone out of my way to ask about Huskies from friends and the 2 who have had some exposure to them say they are not first dog owner breeds. I keep saying I know what I'm doing but really I may not be....

For those that say their dogs adjust their play styles to suit different playmates - is this something that you had a hand in teaching your dog or do they just seem to do it naturally?

I ask because it's something mine doesn't always do naturally (e.g. this laying down and letting puppies all over them :confused: err, nope - haven't seen it here!) but I would love to teach him! :)

He's quite good if a dog doesn't want to play at all but if they give off playful vibes then it's on - size no barrier!

Obviously, I know it'll be about training but I was wondering whether someone has been able to teach their dog and then their dog monitors their own play for the most part even if they didn't do this previously :)

I would love o say that I trained my dog to do this but I really don't know. We always stopped the play when he got rough with other dogs when he was a puppy. So he probably understood that it wasn't acceptable. But my elkhound continues to surprise me. Sometime back we met a 10 year old bull terrier at the dog park. My dog did the play bow, gently coaxed her to play and within minutes they were playing with each other. My elkhound was very gentle with her. This bull terrier's owner got teary eyed and said his dog hasnt played for about 4 years and he was so happy that my elkhound could make her want to play. I can't take credit for that.

For those that say their dogs adjust their play styles to suit different playmates - is this something that you had a hand in teaching your dog or do they just seem to do it naturally?

I ask because it's something mine doesn't always do naturally (e.g. this laying down and letting puppies all over them :confused: err, nope - haven't seen it here!) but I would love to teach him! :)

He's quite good if a dog doesn't want to play at all but if they give off playful vibes then it's on - size no barrier!

Obviously, I know it'll be about training but I was wondering whether someone has been able to teach their dog and then their dog monitors their own play for the most part even if they didn't do this previously :)

I would love o say that I trained my dog to do this but I really don't know. We always stopped the play when he got rough with other dogs when he was a puppy. So he probably understood that it wasn't acceptable. But my elkhound continues to surprise me. Sometime back we met a 10 year old bull terrier at the dog park. My dog did the play bow, gently coaxed her to play and within minutes they were playing with each other. My elkhound was very gentle with her. This bull terrier's owner got teary eyed and said his dog hasnt played for about 4 years and he was so happy that my elkhound could make her want to play. I can't take credit for that.

That's so cute! :) What a sweetie your dog must be.

I do find dog interactions sooo interesting...!