Blood Test Results

kayla1

Coco (14yr old Brittany) had some blood tests done this week that showed some unexpected changes:

Urea 42.5 (3.6-8.9)

Creat. 295 (43-129)

Alk phos 196 (10-120)

ALT 243 (5-80)

Other increases are potassium, CK, GGT, lipase, phosphate. Red cell count is low 4.09 (5.50-8.50), but vet said is responding so less likely to be related to kidneys, mentioned possible internal bleed?

Urine test showed no protein, no infection. Vet said it's not dilute, but not concentrated either - somewhere in between.

So the vets are leaning towards grade 3 kidney disease, and we'll start on a kidney diet. Other possibilities ruled out were dehydration and blockage. The vet also mentioned toxins but he doesn't have access to anything that I can think of. He has been on a lot of medication for spinal issues over the last 12mths, esp trocoxil but is now on the month break (won't be restarting now though), and has recently started on fortekor for his heart (with very good results).

The vets said he should be showing as a very sick dog, but he's actually pretty good - he's happy, eating well. Drinking/urinating more often but has been for some time due to meds, vomits and shows some restlessness occasionally. Spinal issues are stable and he's doing really well in that respect.

I've spoken to a couple of vets and will be going back again, but I just thought I'd post here in case someone has any other ideas.

Ive been through a similar thing with our almost 11 year old Cavalier 'Renae' re toxins in her body and high liver levels . They had her on strong AB's and some other stuff which seems to have sort of fixed the problem, but shes still not 100 percent. They still don't know whats actually going on with her, and im not wanting them to do any more invasive tests on her (apart from an U/S she had a while back)

No help sorry with your particular problem, just wanted to say sounds a bit similar.. They said at the time Renae should have been showing a lot more signs of illness, but shes never vomited and shes never lost weight (quite the opposite actually) We only took her to the vets in the first place because of some shakes shes been having, and some mini fits. They thought it might be connected to the toxin problem, but last test came back normal and shes still got all those symptoms :(

At the time she was meant to go on a liver diet, but they couldn't get the liver dry food in for ages, so shes been on the science hill kidney one instead..

Ps Have they suggested another blood test in about 6 weeks? thats what we did for them check Renae's levels again, which were mostly normal..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Thanks for the reply Jules. :) It's hard when you don't know isn't it.

Actually the only reason I got the blood tests done now was because he's on the month break with trocoxil, and I thought it would be a good time.

They've suggested follow up blood tests in 2-4 weeks. They're not going to hospitalise him at this stage because he seems to be doing ok. I haven't had any experience with kidney disease before...so I've spent last night and today reading as much as I can. Now my head is spinning and I'm trying very hard to not stress because Coco picks up on my moods and I don't want him getting stressed.

Unfortunately the results are only getting worse. :cry: Creatinine is now 315 and urea is 57. We stopped the fortekor a week ago because of the possibility of it being the cause of kidney failure. He's still had episodes of vomiting and also diarrhea this week, but is eating well and likes the kidney diet. The restlessness has eased off since stopping the fortekor and he can now sleep through the night, which is a good thing at least. The vets still think kidney disease but he's getting tested for Addison's disease tomorrow, just in case.