Aged Blind Dog

I have never travelled to Tassie on the Spirit so I do not know how long the crossing takes, but would it possible for her to be in a crate in the car?

Sadly, dogs have actually died from carbon-monoxide poisoning traveling this way on the Spirit.

Yes. Horrible, I wouldn't take my dogs over on it. I'd prefer to fly them if they had to go.

Yes, a dear friend of mine lost two dogs in the one pass and the third is permanently compromised owing to carbon monoxide poisoning. She had done this trip many time before, always having the dogs in the car or float, on deck 5. This time the official insisted she travel on deck 4. She was sure she shouldn't and stood her ground arguing the point. The official became so insistent and aggressive, convincing her deck 4 was absolutely fine, that she did as she was told in the end, telling herself that they must know what they are talking about.

One died as the ship was leaving and the other shortly before they got to the car after docking on arrival.

Heart breaking.

After much research, evidence has been found that many animals - cats, dogs, horses etc have died during the passes. Hundreds of animals also cross safely with no issues. Still, not odds I would back. Any loss is too many.

The kennels are another story altogether - wet, cold and if you have big dogs and arrive at the wrong time, you have to lift them high to get them into the crates above as everyone hogs the low ones.

Scary stuff. I will never take my dogs on the Spirit. The thought terrifies me.

After thought... if I have written anything above that may be inappropriate, slanderous, get Troy or myself into trouble, please advise and I will happily remove it.

Oh dyzney was that your friend with the Rotties who were off to a show? Heart-breaking and so avoidable. I didn't know those details about transporting animals on this ship. No way would I ever do it now.frown.gif

Yes, she was going to a herding trial. Needed one more Started pass on her older girl that had recently had a leg amputated, as she just missed out at Melbourne's last trial for the year. So thought she would zip over there (as she has business in Tasi and it was like her 2nd home) and try for that pass as her girl wasn't getting any younger.

She took a heavily pregnant girlfriend along for the fun girl's trip.

She will never get really over it. Such a shock. She called me early that morning, just as they were driving off the boat... dogs still in the car, wretched smell. We were both just hysterical on the phone. Just complete shock.

You cannot check on your dogs at all and the attendants will not do it either.

There is a good reason passengers are not allowed onto the decks once they have left their cars... the fumes.

You're not serious??!! In wet cramped kennels for 12 hours (more including loading and unloading) and where humans won't go because of fumes??? Nuts.icon_smile_mad.gif

Edited by westiemum

I have never travelled to Tassie on the Spirit so I do not know how long the crossing takes, but would it possible for her to be in a crate in the car?

Sadly, dogs have actually died from carbon-monoxide poisoning traveling this way on the Spirit.

Yes. Horrible, I wouldn't take my dogs over on it. I'd prefer to fly them if they had to go.

Yes, a dear friend of mine lost two dogs in the one pass and the third is permanently compromised owing to carbon monoxide poisoning. She had done this trip many time before, always having the dogs in the car or float, on deck 5. This time the official insisted she travel on deck 4. She was sure she shouldn't and stood her ground arguing the point. The official became so insistent and aggressive, convincing her deck 4 was absolutely fine, that she did as she was told in the end, telling herself that they must know what they are talking about.

One died as the ship was leaving and the other shortly before they got to the car after docking on arrival.

Heart breaking.

After much research, evidence has been found that many animals - cats, dogs, horses etc have died during the passes. Hundreds of animals also cross safely with no issues. Still, not odds I would back. Any loss is too many.

The kennels are another story altogether - wet, cold and if you have big dogs and arrive at the wrong time, you have to lift them high to get them into the crates above as everyone hogs the low ones.

Scary stuff. I will never take my dogs on the Spirit. The thought terrifies me.

After thought... if I have written anything above that may be inappropriate, slanderous, get Troy or myself into trouble, please advise and I will happily remove it.

Oh dyzney was that your friend with the Rotties who were off to a show? Heart-breaking and so avoidable. I didn't know those details about transporting animals on this ship. No way would I ever do it now.frown.gif

Yes, she was going to a herding trial. Needed one more Started pass on her older girl that had recently had a leg amputated, as she just missed out at Melbourne's last trial for the year. So thought she would zip over there (as she has business in Tasi and it was like her 2nd home) and try for that pass as her girl wasn't getting any younger.

She took a heavily pregnant girlfriend along for the fun girl's trip.

She will never get really over it. Such a shock. She called me early that morning, just as they were driving off the boat... dogs still in the car, wretched smell. We were both just hysterical on the phone. Just complete shock.

CM I think you have a recommendation. Don't do it. Not worth the risk. IMO.

Edited by westiemum

T

here is a good reason passengers are not allowed onto the decks once they have left their cars... the fumes.
But it's ok for the animals ?? :(

There is always carbon-monoxide on the decks from the cars being parked and then leaving. Levels vary depending on deck level, weather conditions etc. The levels would be dangerous for humans and animals if they stayed there for any length of time. For the short periods of time whilst parking and leaving, though definitely not good, are relatively short periods.

During the crossing the fumes possibly disburse completely as some decks, I don't know. But as soon as the cars are started up again, the fumes just start to gather again.

Deck 5 has the best disbursement, therefore the animals can survive usually unharmed within their own cars/floats/trailers/trucks etc. The crates provided are situated out at the deck edge, so as to get optimum ventilation. Unfortunately on a rough crossing, waves can crash over the deck and wet the dogs, so it can be a cold, wet trip.

When passengers are leaving, they are calling each deck one by one to go to their cars. Often there is a slow/late passenger that holds everyone up on a deck. During these times people have their cars running for very long periods and it can get very uncomfortable while waiting.

Edited by dyzney

You cannot check on your dogs at all and the attendants will not do it either.

There is a good reason passengers are not allowed onto the decks once they have left their cars... the fumes.

You're not serious??!! In wet cramped kennels for 12 hours (more including loading and unloading) and where humans won't go because of fumes??? Nuts.icon_smile_mad.gif

Very serious.

and there is so much more, but I would be in trouble if I kept going :mad

Edited by dyzney