Warning To Have Long And Multiple Conversations With Puppy Buyers

mixeduppup

This as well

Whilst upholding the principle of confidentiality, veterinarians must do so within the constraints of the law and with regard to their statutory obligations. Although the reporting of a notifiable disease or breach of animal welfare legislation may jeopardise a veterinarian-client relationship, it should be undertaken as required by the law, in the public interest.

If required to divulge information, for example as a witness in court, veterinarians should divulge only that information which is relevant to the case and take care to differentiate factual information from opinion. When providing evidence as an expert witness, a veterinarian may offer a professional opinion. Such opinion should be confined to areas where the veterinarian has particular expertise and personal experience.

Edited by mixeduppup

If the RSPCA Inspectorate come asking for a history in the case of cruelty I'm fairly sure we have to hand it over.

Why? They are not a legal entity (such as the police), surely they would have to provide some legal document first before you divulge private information?? Surely they can;t just turn up and ask about Fido owned by mr smith?

What an idiot!

More than that. He could (should?) be prosecuted for blatantly neglecting a dog's basic needs. :mad:mad

Poor little dog must have been in agony.

I'm thinking about doing that. I'll give the RSPCA a call but not sure they can do much on hearsay and vets have confidentiality so not sure they could do anything unless they had to or wanted to.

I never knew vets had to keep animal cases confidential. I didnt think they would, especially from the RSPCA. I know the vets have to call the RSPCA if they dont think the animal belongs to the person who brings it in. I would have thought it would be the same if they think an animal is being mistreated.

I work at a vet and everything is very confidential. it's just like going to a dr or a psychologist. I don't know the oarticulars about the vet and the case in general as I hung up pretty quickly before losing my head.

I called the RSPCA and took his particulars but without seeing the dog I don't think they can do much.

well i learn something new every day.. :)

I still think its strange as I know my dog wouldnt give hoot if anyone knew her business... haha

I understand its a medical profession but its animals, not humans, so it wouldnt make difference to the animal if someone knew their medical conditions. :confused:

Thank about what would happen if Black Caviar's vet started telling the world about everything the did to her! Or someone who spends a fair amount of money treating their animal but doesn't tell people because of the judgement.

Vets can report cases of cruelty but then the next dog that person has wont come back for treatment. Not sure RSPCA and history- usually they ask owners to prove that they have sought medical attention for an animal and they owners provide them as proof that the animal is not being neglected. If the animal is seized the RSPCA can take the animal to a vet for a consult based on its current condition.

Edited by Jumabaar