Warning To Have Long And Multiple Conversations With Puppy Buyers

mixeduppup

I had someone interested in buying a young dog that I had for sale. I spoke to him twice and he seemed good, he ran a working property and everything he said sounded great and I though that it sounded like a good match. I decided to have one more conversation with him just to double check a few things that didn't add up and SO GLAD I DID. He told me that he had bought a young dog from someone else and the dog had stopped eating, it took him 2 weeks of not eating before he drove 40mins to take the dog to the vet in an emaciated condition where it promptly died. I asked him why it took so long to take it to the vet and he didn't have a reason. He said it was bad breeding that the dog stopped eating and I said it was probably a blocked bowel or something similar and if a dog goes off its food for more than a couple of days something is wrong and you need to seek a vet straight away, not wait until the dog is literally dying. he then tried to offer me half the price I had on the dog even though I had told him a few times that it was non-negotiable and then told him I wouldn't be selling my dog to him anyway. I was so glad I triple checked and found this out and my dog didn't go there.

I guess it goes to show how checking, checking and checking again is so important. This particular guy is still searching for a young working dog so if you own any that you have for sale feel free to pm me for further details.

What an idiot!

More than that. He could (should?) be prosecuted for blatantly neglecting a dog's basic needs. :mad:mad

Poor little dog must have been in agony.

I'm thinking about doing that. I'll give the RSPCA a call but not sure they can do much on hearsay and vets have confidentiality so not sure they could do anything unless they had to or wanted to.

What an idiot!

More than that. He could (should?) be prosecuted for blatantly neglecting a dog's basic needs. :mad:mad

I'm thinking about doing that. I'll give the RSPCA a call but not sure they can do much on hearsay and vets have confidentiality so not sure they could do anything unless they had to or wanted to.

I think it would be worth a call to the RSPCA. They probably can't do anything after the event, but they could send him a letter perhaps setting out basic needs and guidelines. You'd think he wouldn't need to know, but obviously he does. "No Dogs Allowed" should be stamped on his forehead. We all make mistakes, but 2 weeks. Makes me feel sick and wish I hadn't read.

Yeah I'll make a call. I lived on a station for a while and this guy was rough on his dogs but if any were sick he'd make the 2-3 hour trek to the vet no questions asked. If you have dogs and they get sick it's what you do!

Yeah I'll make a call. I lived on a station for a while and this guy was rough on his dogs but if any were sick he'd make the 2-3 hour trek to the vet no questions asked. If you have dogs and they get sick it's what you do!

Yep, I know plenty of farmers that are fairly rough on their dogs, but if they are sick they will rush them to the vets no questions asked.

I would be calling the RSPCA too, surprised the vets didn't actually.

Edited by LisaCC

Yep, I know plenty of farmers that are fairly rough on their dogs, but if they are sick they will rush them to the vets no questions asked.

I would be calling the RSPCA too, surprised the vets didn't actually.

Me too!

What an idiot!

I never knew vets had to keep animal cases confidential. I didnt think they would, especially from the RSPCA. I know the vets have to call the RSPCA if they dont think the animal belongs to the person who brings it in. I would have thought it would be the same if they think an animal is being mistreated.

What an idiot!

I never knew vets had to keep animal cases confidential. I didnt think they would, especially from the RSPCA. I know the vets have to call the RSPCA if they dont think the animal belongs to the person who brings it in. I would have thought it would be the same if they think an animal is being mistreated.

I work at a vet and everything is very confidential. it's just like going to a dr or a psychologist. I don't know the oarticulars about the vet and the case in general as I hung up pretty quickly before losing my head.

I called the RSPCA and took his particulars but without seeing the dog I don't think they can do much.

Edited by mixeduppup

What an idiot!

I work at a vet and everything is very confidential. it's just like going to a dr or a psychologist. I don't know the oarticulars about the vet and the case in general as I hung up pretty quickly before losing my head.

I called the RSPCA and took his particulars but without seeing the dog I don't think they can do much.

well i learn something new every day.. :)

I still think its strange as I know my dog wouldnt give hoot if anyone knew her business... haha

I understand its a medical profession but its animals, not humans, so it wouldnt make difference to the animal if someone knew their medical conditions. :confused:

What an idiot!

If people thought taking their abused, mistreated or neglected animal to the vet would automatically result in the RSPCA being summoned, what do you think they'd do with the animal?

Vets are in a "damned if you do, dammed if you don't" postion.

I say its better that an animal gets treatment than being left without it due to fear of RSPCA involvement. Perhaps someone else can say whether or not vets have a mandatory duty to report animal abuse but I doubt it.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

What an idiot!

I still think its strange as I know my dog wouldnt give hoot if anyone knew her business... haha

I understand its a medical profession but its animals, not humans, so it wouldnt make difference to the animal if someone knew their medical conditions. :confused:

I work at a vet and we go by a confidentiality agreement, we can't tell anyone anything about who came in, who got what treatment etc.

What an idiot!

I work at a vet and we go by a confidentiality agreement, we can't tell anyone anything about who came in, who got what treatment etc.

I believe you, but I still personally think its strange for it to be like that. :)

But how far does that extend? I mean, I understand the general public, but RSPCA, police, other legal entities are excluded I assume?

I think if they choose to report it they can. I'm pretty sure it's the same as Dr confidentiality so only if a warrant is issued do they need to abide by the law and release info (don't quote me on that). I might do some digging and find out exactly though.

Just found this

Veterinarians will respect their clients’ right to confidentiality, and safeguard all information associated with the disease status of an individual animal or group of animals. A careful balance must be maintained between a client’s right to confidentiality and the need to communicate relevant information to colleagues and staff within a practice. Unless required by law, information should not be provided to any third party, including a second opinion or referral veterinarian, without the express approval of the client.

found it Here