Bike Tow Leash For Dogs

Hi I am looking at importing this product from the USA for biking with dogs http://www.biketowleash.com/

Just trying to gauge interest in the Australian market. I have biked with dogs before using the WalkyDog attachment, and I enjoyed it but had a few safety issues with it, ie a strong dog tipping the bike, the dog getting trapped beneath the bike, and the rope inside the attachment snapping. This product looks excellent and I have had a long chat with the designer and producer on Skype. His passion for biking with dogs really comes across and I would love to support this product.

Are there fellow cyclers out there keen to get biking with their dogs? It's such a great bonding experience, and good for fitness and mental health all round. Let me know if there is any interest out there. Retail price in Oz would be $168 pp, but unlike other products you can just attach it to a quality collar rather than investing in a proper racing harness as well.

I am interested in this post as I recently started biking with my kelpie. My friend bikes with her agility dog for fitness and ties the dog under the seat. She says that she feels she has the most balancing power this way. I do the same althou at times I also hold the lead to guide the dog thru gates or fences on the bike track.

She is very good and well behaved but the biggest issue is that she is a big scaredy cat!!! So if a dog runs out or barks she will run out thru fear. And if she really spins out she can get across the front of the bike. I don't normally go fast, it is more that I can't run with her at her trot. She will cover a lot of ground in her trot. So I normally bike along in a slow gear, however at times I can't resist and we have a short race. She listens when I tell her how fast or slow to go.

So I have been thinking of getting a walky thing. Would be safer as she doesn't pull normally but in a panic situation would it prevent her from getting in front of the bike? Would she run into the bike if on on walky thing? I saw some youtube clips and the walky thingo seems pretty bendy?

Any suggestions ? I am going to visit the endurance thread as well.

But paddles - You said you didn't like it as your dog nearly had you off... how did that happen? Any advice appreciated.

My dog milo DID get me off, luckily for me, and unluckily for him, I landed on him. he lunged out sidewards and even with the brakes locked, he dragged the bike out from under me, and the way it works it is connected at approx. rear axel. so down lower than the seat. however I must say, that until then it had been reasonable. he is a bad puller, and this only encouraged him to pull harder. we've now broken it to some extent (the walker thing) I know others who have bought it, and love it, but like you, their dogs already ran beside the bike. I note that the price roar kingdom is quoting is higher than sport4dogs. I think, if you are going to purchase something to run your dogs beside the bike, this is one of the better products, although, I must admit I would like to try the "springer" dog walker, although I was told at the time that the "tow leash" was the better option.

http://www.topdogs.com.au/categories/Bike-Attachment/

Edited by paddles

I just got a springer and took both dogs out at the same time. Weight for weight, the bike and I only just come out ahead of the dogs and yet I still managed to control them. I looked at a walkydog but given my boys strength and desire to pull didn't think it was going to be strong enough. The bike tow leash demo with the dobe didn't exactly fill me with confidence either.

walkydog here and it's great. Fits just under the seat and used on dogs with no obedience training at all.

what sort of dog do you have and does it pull on the lead?

greyhounds and they walk fairly nicely on a lead with only show training, thank you for asking :D

Thanks for the choices. I think the walky dog thing might suit. Used to having the lead from under the seat anyway.

Haven't seen the springer one but will shop around and definitely get something.

happy riding all :)

as far as I know, it's illegal everywhere, one of those laws that isn't enforced. for instance here, it's illegal to use a dog as a draft animal, ranger isn't going to worry about me sledding (might if he saw dogs hooked to a plow) with the running a dog beside a bike, they are not going to worry, unless you are doing something stupid (racing through busy pedestrian areas etc) I've biked with dogs in 3 states ( vic, nsw, and sa), past rangers and police, and never had a word said.