Polaramine Liquid Dosage

PuddleDuck

Bear (my toller) seems to be having an allergic reaction to something. I think it might be the rawhide chew she got earlier today. She is itching so much she can't keep still. I have some polaramine liquid here and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that it's ok to give? It's 2mg/5ml so was going to start at 5 ml and see how we go.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Bear (my toller) seems to be having an allergic reaction to something. I think it might be the rawhide chew she got earlier today. She is itching so much she can't keep still. I have some polaramine liquid here and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that it's ok to give? It's 2mg/5ml so was going to start at 5 ml and see how we go.

Sorry, I don't know about Polaramine... I only have Zyrtec (Cetirizine). My Oncologist told me to give my Pug 1 mg per kilo of body weight daily... And said it's best to divide the dose into two. He weighs 11 kilos so he has 5 mg twice a day.

Does this help?

http://www.melbvet.com.au/files/NNBML3FCLS/Antihistamines.pdf

Edited by Maeby Fünke

From the health forum

Human anit-histamine use in dogs:

1. NAME

2. FORMULATION

3. DOSAGE

1. POLARAMINE (dexchlorhenrinamine)

2. 2mg and 6mg tablets also 0.4mg/ml elixir

3. dogs <10kg give 2mg

dogs 10.1-30kg give 4mg

dogs over 30kg give 6mg

1. PHENERGAN (promethazine)

2. 10mg and 25mg tablets 1mg/ml elixir

3. 1mg per 10kg of bodyweight

1. TELFAST (fexofenadine)

2. 60mg, 120mg and 180mg tablets

3. 2mg per kg bodyweight

NOTE:TABLET SIZE MAKES DOSING FOR SMALL DOGS IMPOSSIBLE

1. CLARYTYNE (Ioratadine)

2. 10mg tablets (also comes in a elixir now not sure of stregth just yet!)

3. for dogs less then 20kg give 1/2 tablet

for dogs over 20kgs give 1 tablet

1. ZYRTEC (Cetirizne)

2. 10mg tablets and 1mg/ml and 10mg/ml elixirs

3. for dogs up tp 20kgs give 5mg

for dogs over 20kgs give 10mg

Sorry to bring this topic up again but Zeus has itchy lumps on his belly and armpits and I'm willing to bet he's allergic to some kind of weed/grass found in the scrub at the dog park. I'm putting Neocort on it for now, but I'm wanting to try him on Polaramine as he's currently given 1/2 a Zyrtec daily and it doesn't seem to help.

I've been on the Ingleburn Vet site regarding doses and it says 0.4mg x body weight. Zeus is roughly 15 kilos (14.8 kilos) which equals 6mg, however, StaffyLuv above has posted that for a dog between 10.1 and 30 kilos, 4mg is sufficient. The Ingleburn site also says twice daily so I just want to be sure.

I'll also be popping into the health store for some more Calendula tea as I'd prefer to not keep using the Neocort.

Sorry to bring this topic up again but Zeus has itchy lumps on his belly and armpits and I'm willing to bet he's allergic to some kind of weed/grass found in the scrub at the dog park. I'm putting Neocort on it for now, but I'm wanting to try him on Polaramine as he's currently given 1/2 a Zyrtec daily and it doesn't seem to help.

I've been on the Ingleburn Vet site regarding doses and it says 0.4mg x body weight. Zeus is roughly 15 kilos (14.8 kilos) which equals 6mg, however, StaffyLuv above has posted that for a dog between 10.1 and 30 kilos, 4mg is sufficient. The Ingleburn site also says twice daily so I just want to be sure.

I'll also be popping into the health store for some more Calendula tea as I'd prefer to not keep using the Neocort.

Maybe start with the 4mg dose, and if it isn't helping then creep it up to a max of 6mg?

Some antihistamines work better than others. I used polaramine for Ollie and it was fine but I have given it to Zig a couple of times and it hasn't done anything for him..

I give one dose (4mg tablet) and if another is needed later, I give that - our vet told us we could use it twice a day.