Dogs + Birds

We have 2 cockatiels and 4 chickens. The younger cockatiel periodically takes on the bulldog. The dog was not used to birds when we got him 18 months ago but has now got to the point where he will stare at or walk away from all 60 grams of fighting fury.

All three chickens will ignore or avoid the dog but the fluffy teacosy rooster standing at a mighty 1300 grams will charge and attack the dog, I admire the dogs restraint but would never leave them alone, I think he restrains himself from having a go rather than is totally at ease with them.

Totally random but that is one tiny cockatiel!

I have 19 birds and one dog. Tame and inside there are 4 flighted cockatiels, 2 flighted budgies and a flighted Short billed Corella, the rest of the number are outside in aviaries. I have to segregate all the bird breeds from one another as the budgies will go after the cockatiels (possibly the Corella too but I have never had them out at once) and the SB Corella thinks she is human and freaks out screaming at the other birds if they are out whilst she is.

The dog avoids the SB Corella like the plague, the Corella has never bitten the dog but it is the SB Corella that I wouldn't trust to be gentle in that scenario. I half suspect that the dog dislikes her so much because she is loud as I have noticed that if I put the SB Corella in her outside cage whilst the dog is outside, the dog will go and hide/sleep around the side of the house to get away from her.

The other birds can be out when the dog is in the room however the dog has been trained to stay in a certain spot when they are out and I never leave them unsupervised. She sleeps through it and ignores them completely for the most part. If they come over to bug her (rare) she tends to go to the door requesting to go outside to avoid them. The birds don't get free range though. They are let out of their cages up to 4 times per day for 30min-1hour each time for exercise and cuddles.

This 5yo Scaly Breasted lorikeet has always lived with dogs. First with my old dog, and now has grown up with my two younger ones.

He chooses to interact with the dogs, and can get a mean game of face bitey happening with them. Of course I wouldn't have this much trust with a sight hound or terrier, but the cattle dogs seem to view him as part of the pack.

He climbed into the crate when the dogs were drying after a bath, as he loves grooming them when they are wet. The dogs seem to love the grooming sessions. The bird also chose to come down from his cage to share the dogs food (yes, he can fly). The puppies learn't very quickly that he will hold his ground.

Another activity the bird loves to do with the dogs is dig holes.... sigh, much to my gardens detriment :(

post-38176-0-85396200-1371515143_thumb.jpg

post-38176-0-38072000-1371515158_thumb.jpg

Edited by Inevitablue

my greencheek conure used to play with my terrier x malt , but one day he bit her and she never played with him again . I have 2 now and they have free time every day , my 2 newer dogs are not left alone with them, but are in the house while they are out, it has taken a while to get to this point, at first of course they wanted to chase and prob eat them, but now they know they must not chase eat my birds lol , esp as Pico the one that used to play with Gizzi ,has no fear of dogs and stalks them lol