Sascha Has Split Her Toe Pad Again!

For the third time in just a few months my kelpie has a split pad on one of her toes. She's a quiet, well behaved girl and generally not into the sort of carry on that would cause this and she's managed to get to 9 years without ever having done it before! I've checked the yard thoroughly and haven't found anything that might be the cause so i'm now starting to wonder whether there can be some other cause. Anyone know if there is anything medical that can cause splitting of pads and if so what I could do about it?

Is there much chance of her keeping a shoe on at this point if she has never worn them before? I'd consider buying her a set if this is going to be ongoing problem but they are expensive if she won't wear them. :)

I spoke to my neighbour who is the local vet nurse the last time she did it and she agreed with my thoughts that it wasn't worth a vet trip for a simple surface split toe pad as the vet wouldn't be able to do anything for it but she's going on Thursday anyway for a checkup so I'll talk to her about it further then.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

She's leaving it alone now. Luckily being a smart, mummy-focused kelpie I only had to tell her once and she lay on her bed and left it be so hopefully she'll wear the sock over night as she's sound asleep now.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Thanks for the tip. If anyone has any suggestions of what may be the ongoing cause i'd be very interested. Our backyard is mostly grass with a painted concrete patio so even the concrete isn't rough enough to cause scrapes.

She's only outside during the day when we are at work, when we are home she comes inside and chooses to spend most of her time relaxing on her bed then. She wasn't limping or favouring her foot when my husband fed them before and now suddenly the pad is split and hurting so it seems to have been rather unexplained.

If the same pad is splitting repeatedly, my guess is that it's not healing completely before your dog puts pressure on it and reopens the wound. Sometimes stitches are needed. A boot might be a good idea.

But logically, the first place to visit is your vet.

Of course. We followed the previous advice the first time that it was best to just let it heal on it's own, I used to vet nurse myself and thought that would be the recommendation and basically just spoke to my neighbour for confirmation. Given it has now happened yet again she can wear the sock until we can get her to the vet and we'll get her to determine whether it does in fact need further treatment or just some longer term protection while it heals. She's booked in to see the vet on ths week anyway to discuss some continence issues that have resurfaced from back when she was desexed so it can just be yet another thing to add to the check up :)

Of course. We followed the previous advice the first time that it was best to just let it heal on it's own, I used to vet nurse myself and thought that would be the recommendation and basically just spoke to my neighbour for confirmation. Given it has now happened yet again she can wear the sock until we can get her to the vet and we'll get her to determine whether it does in fact need further treatment or just some longer term protection while it heals. She's booked in to see the vet on ths week anyway to discuss some continence issues that have resurfaced from back when she was desexed so it can just be yet another thing to add to the check up :)

Not sure a sock will be enough support. You want something that will cushion the paw and prevent the toes from spreading. If it's just the one foot you won't need a full set of boots.

Front or back foot?

Front foot, she's just hopping anyway, not really putting any weight on it. It's a baby sock so it's fairly tight. I don't have anywhere here I could get boots from before the vet appointment anyway as we are in a regional area.

Got any vet wrap?

If you cannot ensure the sock stays dry, I'd take it off.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

She's inside so it's staying dry, they are only put out when we aren't home but they are well behaved so no reason she can't just stay inside if we are only out for a few hours. i don't have any vet wrap unfortunately and I'm not sure that the vet is open tomorrow unfortunately.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

She's inside so it's staying dry. i don't have any vet wrap unfortunately and I'm not sure that the vet is open tomorrow unfortunately.

You can buy vet wrap or its cheaper equivalents at horse supplies and rural stores. It's water proof.

It's going to get wet when she goes to the toilet isn't it?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I work at the largest pet supply shop in town and I know we don't stock it and the rural store is closed on Sundays. Unfortunately at the very least I think we are stuck until Monday, one of the downsides of the local shops consisting on an IGA and a few strip shops and the next largest town being 35km away I guess! She seems to be coping OK and is in good spirits so she might just have to suck it up until we can get a better solution. The sock has atleast discouraged her from licking at it so combined with the paw paw ointment it might be feeling a little less sore by the morning.

I have about a dozen pairs of the socks that my daughter grew out of long ago so I can swap the socks as often as needed, might put a little baggy on her paw when i send her out to the loo :)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I work at the largest pet supply shop in town and I know we don't stock it and the rural store is closed on Sundays. Unfortunately at the very least I think we are stuck until Monday, one of the downsides of the local shops consisting on an IGA and a few strip shops and the next largest town being 35km away I guess! She seems to be coping OK and is in good spirits so she might just have to suck it up until we can get a better solution. The sock has atleast discouraged her from licking at it so combined with the paw paw ointment it might be feeling a little less sore by the morning.

I would be toileting her on lead and avoiding any fast exercise until you see the vet.

If you have to take her outside, put a plastic shopping bag over the sock, tape it around the pastern and cut off the excess above the tape. It will keep it dry.

I would add vet wrap to your home "dog first aid kit". Very handy stuff.

She won't run when I take her out to the loo, about the most sedate kelpie you could ever meet, I've had people ask me what I have done to make her so relaxed but that's just how she is. LOL Which is particularly useful when she's needing to rest her foot :)