Dog Friendly Rental Needed

The Ark

I am currently fostering a pair of gorgeous dogs - a min pin and an English Toy Terrier - both female, desexed, housetrained. They have been surrendered by their owners who have been unable to find suitable dog-friendly rental housing on the Northern Beaches, but they hope that they may be able to find somewhere to live so that they can get their beloved dogs back. They have an 8yo son, so need to be mindful of his needs as well. These people adore these girls and have paid a mint for their vetwork before surrendering them. They have just signed a 9 month lease on a property but are willing to look at sub-letting the property or breaking that lease if they have another option.

They are looking for a property where their tiny dogs (both around 2.5kg) will be safe and secure, and where they can let the dogs have inside/outside access.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gumtree seems to have private rentals who may be more willing to consider pets too.

I feel for them, I'm going through the same thing, tho my bubs are kenneled ATM, good on you for fostering their little guys.

They may need to look a little further afield and adjust other requirements to find somewhere, it's tough :(

the rental situation with pets these days is pretty crappy, from what I understand landlord insurance doesn't cover pet damage. If any damage costs more to fix than your bond the landlord is pretty much screwed.

I have heard though that it's in the process of changing so pet damage will be covered.

One thing that we found may have helped when finding our place is to put in a cover letter with information about yourselves and your pets that would otherwise not come up in the application form, e.g the dogs are well trained, go for walks every day etc or whatever else makes you sound like a responsible pet owner, also cute pictures of the dogs may help as well :)

When my partner and I were looking I also made sure to call all real estate agents before hand to see if the landlords would look at applications with pets, no point dragging yourself around to places that won't even consider them. Many places will consider applications with pets but won't necessarily say pet friendly on the ad.

I forgot to mention this as well...

Not sure about the laws in NSW but in Victoria landlords cannot always evict you for just having a pet they didn't approve, they may have to prove that the pets are damaging the property.

Obviously it's up to you whether or not you want to lie to your landlord but it's nice to know the option is there if you have no other alternative.

http://www.tuv.org.au/articles/files/resources/Pets_FS_R_062009.pdf

Just checked the Tenancy union of NSW website (http://www.tenants.org.au/tenants-rights-factsheets) and there's no mention of pets which may indicate the same lack of rules apply