Bullmastiff V's Boxer

asher76

Our neighbours on one side had boxers, the other side had a bullmastiff. We've been quite involved with both over the years.

I have to say that I completely fell for Rufus, the BM. He was the biggest softy. He just loved being near people and was so gentle. Whenever the neighbours weren't home and he knew we were, he would bark once so I would go over and bring him into our place. With their permission!

He was a very endearing boofer. He was also very gentle with children.

While the boxers owned by the other neighbours were beautiful dogs and lovely to be around, they didn't have the same attraction to me. We still always really enjoyed having them visit.

From what I've seen boxers are very high energy and with such a busy household you may not have the time to devote to such a high energy breed. I love the temperament of bull mastiffs and they are wonderful family dogs from what I've seen.

How many boxers have you seen?

Heaps. Not sure but into the double digits. Most of the boxers I've seen have been quite high energy. I know you did/do? breed them though so I'll trust your integrity on the final consensus :)

Edited by mixeduppup

Welcome to Dogzonline Asher76.

Both are gorgeous breeds but I am biased towards Boxers. I think if you have owned one before and love the breed, then you are well aware of their special characteristics.:D

Contrary to popular opinion, they are not all hyper nutters. Mine is happy with a 30 minute walk and does a couple of minutes of backyard 'zoomies' some afternoons. Mostly though, he is happiest with our company (hello, large snuggly lapdog!)

Or the couch if we are out. :laugh:

We bought Bruno as a puppy when our youngest child was 4 years old. He has been wonderful with kids and adores them. Bruno has a special affinity with my youngest child and is so gentle (carefully bringing favourite squeaky toys to him). He is more responsive to obedience instructions from my youngest child too, oddly enough. We have done some basic obedience classes over the years and the youngest child took more of an interest in copying the commands, so that may be why....

I strongly recommend regardless of which breed you choose, that you buy from a good, reputable breeder who health tests their dogs. Boxer parents should be heart murmer cleared, among other things.

Be prepared to wait for a pup. A healthy pup is well worth the wait.

All the best with your decision. :)

Boxers are as hyper as you allow them to be. A little training gives you a lady or a gentleman --- and they are not high exercise. A boxer is as happy to spend an hour with you, as an hour of exercise. If he thinks he needs exercise, he will organise his own. Not for everyone

I would go with the BM, too, but I might be a little biased, too, and have owned neither.

And the only breeds that are restricted in various states are the ones on the restricted breed list, no idea why anybody would think "bull breeds" or Bull Mastiffs are on it. The American Pitbull Terrier or "Pitbull" is on the list, which is a bull breed, but there are plenty that are not on it.

The Dogo Argentino is also on the list, as is the Japanese Tosa and Fila Brasiliero. All Except the Dogo are fighting breeds. Stuffed if I know what made them add the Dogo but according to the list, it is also a fighting breed (which is untrue)

I've owned both and will advise a Bullmastiff any day. I have a 4 year old and I couldn't fault male with him for anything. They were the best of friends. My girl is now starting to respond to my son recently by sitting on commands given to her by him.

I can't help as I know nothing about Mastiffs. The only one I know is a real sweetie, but I don't think I could put up with all that slobber :laugh: Are they a breed that is not restricted in Vic??

Mastiffs aren't restricted in vic. But it's always good to get one with papers in case the bsl nazis go crazy.

Um are they restricted in some states?? why??

Not restricted in any states.

My family have owned boxers for years, I love them! They are higher energy than a bullmastiff, and can be inclined to silliness if allowed - my family's last dog was an over-enthusiastic doofus until the day he died, and it wasn't from lack of training or exercise. I think with either breed you would need to be diligent with training and careful around the younger children, with a boxer becasue of their energy and enthusiasm and with a bullmastiff because of their sheer size. If you want an energetic, ready-for-anything dog, I'd go boxer. If you want a more laid-back dog, I'd go bullmastiff. Either way, definitely find a good breeder to purchase from.

I think it's great that you are weighing up breeds Asher but I really dont' find these "either or..?" kinds of threads all that useful for prospective owners.

Reason? Both breeds have their attractions and their fans. But both breeds are different. How would I approach this?

Specify the criteria you are looking for in a dog up front. Then evaluate the breeds against these.

Think about the sort of life style you want to live with a dog.

Do you want a dog that can be an active exercise companion? I'd go Boxer there. If not, the BM will probably be a less demanding dog.

Do you want a pup that's probably going to be easier to grow sound? Again, Boxer. A Bull Mastiff is a BIG pup. Keeping it from over exercising and feeding it correctly will take some effort - more so than a Boxer I'd argue.

Do you want a dog that's going to live a long life? Research longevity. Neither tend to be long lived breeds. There are probably similar breeds that live longer.

How easy do you want it to be to take a dog on holidays in a car? Boxer wins there.

Do you want a dog to which you attach a whole list of memories and expectations. Or do you want to start with a fresh breed.

Things like levels of protectiveness, easy of handling for younger members of the family all need to be factored in.

I could probably list a few breeds you havent' considered that you could add to your considerations BUT the deciding factor for me would be the quality of the breeder you can find to sell you a pup. Good breeders are worth their weight in gold and can be expected to offer a lot of support while you raise your pup. Don't underestimate that factor in your considerations.

I love Bullmastiffs... but I'm not the one who has to live with the dog you choose. So take your time and spend time with both or other breeds before you decide.

Edited by Haredown Whippets