Looking For A Good Vet For Desexing In The Canberra Area Please

Trying to find a good vet that discounts for desexing for rescues in the Canberra area. Qbn South seem to be the main one but they are so busy they don't even have time to give costs over the phone now days.

Is there anyone else??

John Montgomery is the vet at Sonza. He is also an obedience judge and he gave me a pass so he must be okay. :thumbsup:

ETA I use the Tuggeranong Veterinary Hospital at Fadden and they're great.

ETA They do some rescue work I believe

Edited by nawnim

I have used Sonza for greyhound desexing and they were excellent. I had once react badly to anaesthetic and they looked after him like royalty - after their quick actions saved him. The bill the next day was a pleasant surprise as well considering all their work - quite amazing really!!

I have used Sonza for greyhound desexing and they were excellent. I had once react badly to anaesthetic and they looked after him like royalty - after their quick actions saved him. The bill the next day was a pleasant surprise as well considering all their work - quite amazing really!!

:offtopic: Hi Alyosha, Just wondering if you have used the Sonza boarding kennels or do you know anything about them?

Thanks

nn

A few of our regulars use Sonza for short term boarding (5-7 days max) but prefer other establishments for longer term boarding as exercise facilities are limited.

I have used John Montgomery for the occasional rescue dog & he is very good. Well priced & does not allow dogs straight from the pound into the reception area. He does most of the racing greyhound vetwork, being the club vet & has a no nonsense approach.

Thankyou Trifecta. I did look at the website and I understand what you are saying. Exercise is not my dogs' biggest need and I would never leave them for more than a few days so it might be a possibility. I will visit and see what I think.

nn

Wonderful, many thanks. My eldest has gotten the 'Rescue Bug' and is fostering for German Shepherd Rescue, they have been trying for a few days to try to get info from various vets in the area and have had problems.

Did you do an introduction letter explaining the group and what it does? I know the one at Fadden requested this when we enquired (this may be why they are having a hard time).

I'm not sure who they have rung to be honest, they tried a couple of times with Queanbeyan but the girls were run off their feet when they rang, must have just been a busy time I had no trouble, must have got them at the right time I guess. All the vets seem so busy, not saying any of them have had bad dealings but just I think juggling phones, dogs, cats and god only knows what else :rofl: I know sometimes when I'm at Fadden with my own, I marvel at how many things they juggle at one time :thumbsup:

I've got the full list of prices for Queanbeyan, so if anyone is interested give me a PM. :thumbsup:

Also sent an email to the new vet clinic & pet store down behind Tuggeranong Hyperdome, they are quite big from what I can see of their website and do good prices. Will let you know when I get them

John Montgomery is the vet at Sonza. He is also an obedience judge and he gave me a pass so he must be okay. :thumbsup:

By the sounds of it, they are not taking on any more Foster accounts.

By the sounds of it, they are not taking on any more Foster accounts.

Are you referring to Sonza or Tuggeranong - two seperate practices mentioned in the quote?

The Vet at Fadden I think may have closed their books, that or they only assist selected rescues.

I got quotes from the vets at the new pet store at the back of the hyperdome, their rescue prices were no better than the standard rates for private owners that I could tell.

I guess the bottom line is what must matter to vets because after all they have to earn a living. Several vets in the Canberra area already look after rescue groups. West Queanbeyan looks after CPR, The Gables at Queanbeyan and Monash look after ARF, Fadden (Tuggeranong Veterinary Hospital) look after ACT AR (I think?).

IMO you need to find a vet who is not already involved with a rescue group. I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that you were interested in rescuing GSDs. Just a thought but it may be worth trying the Animal Medical Centre in Woden. Sandra Hassett has GSDs.

Or maybe it's worth trying the RSPCA. I think they do discounted desexing for pensioners and they may be able to help.