Best Foods For Weight Gain?

kelpiecuddles

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1375877533[/url]' post='6272107']

That's why i was thinking semi-lean might be good for breaky?

Mince?

If the objective is weight gain feed full fat mince. It's cheaper anyway.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I haven't been able to find fatty mince anywhere, I can get semilean or roo(which is very lean) from the pet store or chicken pet mince from the butcher but that's pretty revolting and has lots of little boney bits in it(bit too sharp and spikey for my liking).

1375877742[/url]' post='6272115']

I haven't been able to find fatty mince anywhere, I can get semilean or roo(which is very lean) from the pet store or chicken pet mince from the butcher but that's pretty revolting and has lots of little boney bits in it(bit too sharp and spikey for my liking).

Just feed ordinary human grade beef, lamb or pork mince.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I don't feed budget mince (what our food supply store calls the fattier version of semi lean) because when I asked they confirmed it has bones in it which as I feed raw isnt what I am after. (I want pure meat/off cuts so I know what meat/bone ratio I am feeding)

Edited by huski

Well I've pretty much decided that it's time to switch my kelpie to a senior food so I have a little bit more flexibility to choose something that will just suit my basset in that regard. I'm a bit brand limited here but I'll go and read some labels for one with a decent amount of fat and protien and see what i like the look of.

1375878420[/url]' post='6272139']

Well I've pretty much decided that it's time to switch my kelpie to a senior food so I have a little bit more flexibility to choose something that will just suit my basset in that regard. I'm a bit brand limited here but I'll go and read some labels for one with a decent amount of fat and protien and see what i like the look of.

Don't you work in a pet store?

1375878545[/url]' post='6272142']

Yes but I'm still brand limited, they don't stock any of the really super dooper foods, just the standard ones, RC, advance, hills, pro plan and euk plus the cheapies.

You've got some excellent brands there. Have a look at RC Medium Junior for a start. That's what my Whippets get.

Put 2 slices of bread & butter in her food. Bread & butter is one of the first foods they say cut out to lose weight.

Dogs are fine with human foods as long as they have enough meat in the diet so I would be googling high calorie human foods so you don't increase the bulk too much.

Too much fat in any diet can be horrible & fatty foods make my little dogs puke but each dog is individual.

I feed a lot of chicken necks, wings and carcasses for weight gain, plus sardines or even a shot of veg oil.

I would definitely feed more meals a day rather than feeding huge portions. Even three or four meals a day if necessary. Maybe also get a vet check, just in case (with blood tests etc)

Butter is alright. Shouldn't be used excessively but ok as a treat.

Bread is useless, dogs aren't very efficient carb users at all. If the dog is already eating dry food there is zero point in adding in even more carbs as kibble already contains plenty. You'll get a pudgy, bloated-looking dog by adding unnecessary carbohydrates in a dog's diet. You could try adding a splash of canola oil into her food for extra calories though. Animal fat is always better but it does the trick and is very inexpensive.

Dogs are carnivores and fat is their main source of energy.

BlackJaq, the problem with the chicken parts you mentioned is that they are very bony. Not much actual food on them so you'd have to feed silly amounts to get noticeable weight gain on those alone..

Edited by Hockz

Put 2 slices of bread & butter in her food. Bread & butter is one of the first foods they say cut out to lose weight.

Dogs are fine with human foods as long as they have enough meat in the diet so I would be googling high calorie human foods so you don't increase the bulk too much.

Too much fat in any diet can be horrible & fatty foods make my little dogs puke but each dog is individual.

YES :)

or a peanut butter sandwich :) This works well with ourdogs..and is dead easy . That and/or some of the soft and fattier lamb flaps .

I always find chicken parts to be pretty fatty, especially carcasses :)

True, but at the same time you end up feeding an awful lot of bone which will make the dog feel full without actually eating anything nutritious and can cause stool problems.

I am away from the house from 7-6 five days a week so three or four meals a day won't work but they are having their dry in the morning and then bones(lamb flaps) in the evening when I am home to supervise. I'll add any extras then as I have a bit more time up my sleeve whereas in the morning it's a quick scoop the dry into the bowl, send them outside for the day and off we go to school/work.