Rspca Just Stated People Should Not Be Getting Puppies From Farms In Q

Angeluca

I Just saw the article clip on ABC 3 weekend news tonight at 8:15 pm on channel 23, but the link isn't on their page yet as soon as it is I will load the page.

Mark Sheppard also featured a comment.

Sorry if this is not topic worthy or in the wrong spot Just feels nice to hear a RSPCA rep say People should be getting Puppies from Registered dogs qld breeders.

:rofl: yes it does but they also have this co-funded petition going with labor to 'stamp out puppy farms'

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/regional-areas-breeding-ground-puppy-farms/1981885/

Quote from the linked article.....

"The best way of stamping out puppy farms is for people to only buy puppies from accredited industry pet shops," he said.

FFS!! So both the RSPCA & The PIAA openly support 'accredited, ethical' puppy factories that supply accredited pet shops. Have any other organisations hooked their wagon on to the ethical puppy farm train as it rolls out across the nation??

:rofl: yes it does but they also have this co-funded petition going with labor to 'stamp out puppy farms'

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/regional-areas-breeding-ground-puppy-farms/1981885/

"The best way of stamping out puppy farms is for people to only buy puppies from accredited industry pet shops," he said.

FFS!! So both the RSPCA & The PIAA openly support 'accredited, ethical' puppy factories that supply accredited pet shops. Have any other organisations hooked their wagon on to the ethical puppy farm train as it rolls out across the nation??

That's what the Qld premier Campbell Newman stated. He is the Liberals, Labor is opposition at the moment since last state election.

Labor states they had a legislation that was 'about to be put through' before labor was voted out.

In the article Labor states

'The proposal, which have support from Dogs Queensland and the RSPCA, includes mandatory consultation of intensive dog breeders, regular monitoring and compulsory microchipping.' Another longer version of this article states that the Bitches details and breeder details be put onto the microchip.

All was all brought about by the Royal show 'ekka' and a political stunt. Tho the footage at the bottome of that link has what seems to be an RSPCA member/office standing beside her. Well it says RSPCA on his shirt. :noidea:

Edited by Angeluca

That's what the Qld premier Campbell Newman stated. He is the Liberals, Labor is opposition at the moment since last state election.

Labor states they had a legislation that was 'about to be put through' before labor was voted out.

In the article Labor states

'The proposal, which have support from Dogs Queensland and the RSPCA, includes mandatory consultation of intensive dog breeders, regular monitoring and compulsory microchipping.' Another longer version of this article states that the Bitches details and breeder details be put onto the microchip.

All was all brought about by the Royal show 'ekka' and a political stunt. Tho the footage at the bottome of that link has what seems to be an RSPCA member/office standing beside her. Well it says RSPCA on his shirt. :noidea:

not sure whether to laugh or cry really

:banghead:

I saw & heard Campbell Newman saying Labor's proposed anti-puppy farm legislation is not needed. People just have to buy puppies from accredited pet shops, was his pronouncement.

I was horrified. Years back I found registered breeders because of an RSPCA Qld article which advised if you wanted a purebred to go direct to a registered breeder & make sure you know how they keep their dogs & raise their puppies. They even gave the contact to Dogs Qld (was then called the Kennel Association). I've followed that advice ever since. And we've got fantastic dogs in every way... health, temperament, looks. Before that, I'd never heard of the Kennel Association & wouldn't have had a clue who registered breeders were.

Even up to a couple of years ago, RSPCA Qld was recommending, in print, people to go direct to good breeders. Pet shops were tellingly not mentioned.

Edited by mita

I saw & heard Campbell Newman saying Labor's proposed anti-puppy farm legislation is not needed. People just have to buy puppies from accredited pet shops, was his pronouncement.

I was horrified. Years back I found registered breeders because of an RSPCA Qld article which advised if you wanted a purebred to go direct to a registered breeder & make sure you know how they keep their dogs & raise their puppies. They even gave the contact to Dogs Qld (was then called the Kennel Association). I've followed that advice ever since. And we've got fantastic dogs in every way... health, temperament, looks. Before that, I'd never heard of the Kennel Association & wouldn't have had a clue who registered breeders were.

Even up to a couple of years ago, RSPCA Qld was recommending, in print, people to go direct to good breeders. Pet shops were tellingly not mentioned.

Oh the RSPCA are still telling people to source dogs through 'registered breeders' . Just unfortunate that this now encompasses the 'registered' puppy factories. I am getting clients in the salon telling me they got their dog from a 'registered breeder' when they are standing there with a doodly designer thingamy on the lead. But the pet shop was telling them the absolute truth that the puppy is from a 'registered' breeder. They leave out the bit about it being a 'registered' dog factory farm. The goal posts have widened to envelope the several kinds of 'registered' breeders that now exist. All of them have a right to stake their claim as 'registered' meanwhile the general public is more confused than ever.

Oh the RSPCA are still telling people to source dogs through 'registered breeders' . Just unfortunate that this now encompasses the 'registered' puppy factories. I am getting clients in the salon telling me they got their dog from a 'registered breeder' when they are standing there with a doodly designer thingamy on the lead. But the pet shop was telling them the absolute truth that the puppy is from a 'registered' breeder. They leave out the bit about it being a 'registered' dog factory farm. The goal posts have widened to envelope the several kinds of 'registered' breeders that now exist. All of them have a right to stake their claim as 'registered' meanwhile the general public is more confused than ever.

You're right about the confusion in the public mind with a word like 'registered'. One registered breeder told me how she comes across people who've answered ads selling dogs where the 'breeder' has told them the parent dogs are 'registered'. Turns out they mean 'registered with the Council'. And others have been told the breeder's dogs have 'papers'.... which turn out to be the breeder's own typed list of the dogs & their (claimed) parents. For people who've never seen an authentic pedigree, that can fool them.

What was useful to us when the RSPCA advised 'registered breeders', way back, was that they specifically said 'registered with the Qld Canine Control Club (as Dogs Qld was then known). And advised phoning the QCCC to get contacts for their registered breeders.

Since then the Internet makes it easier when I want to tell other pet people where to find the kennel association breeders. I spread word to all I can about that. At my last appointment with the hairdresser, I was telling him!