Blackhawk, Artemis Or Holistic Select

Okay yep you could look at it that way for sure.

I look at it from the view that the VAN mix is not cooked, or processed apart from the rolled oats and there is a little dried stuff, but it isn't cooked or processed so therefore raw - in my way of thinking :)

I didn't see it as bagging was just interested.

Fair enough, I agree with what you are saying. I kind of think of raw in the context of dog food as being uncooked animal products (meat, bones, organs), but you are right the Vans mixes are probably raw foods as well.

I wonder if the OPs breeder is making the same distinction, I am assuming that the breeder is not recommending a diet of just raw meat or PMR? I would have thought that one of the appropriate Vans mixes, mixed with raw meat would be in better than kibble + raw meat? Having said that I am only guessing :confused: .

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different types of RAW feeding… some people follow the 'Prey model' which is purely whole meat & bones or the 'BARF' method which I tend to follow that includes vegetable matter… VAN is supposed to replace the veg component to the diet… It's good in that it is balanced with supplements like yeast, calcium and kelp etc rather than you having to add all these things in yourself to have a balanced RAW diet for your dog.

Hi - just curious as to when you introduced the bone for lunch and whether it coincided with the change in his "output". I'd be inclined to drop Judith from Artemis a quick email and let her know what has happened, given that he was fine on it initially.

:)

We started off on the RC, but found Gus didn't really like it and unless it was mixed with yoghurt he could give or take it, poop was good and he was growing well but didn't really like it. I wasn't overly keen on the stuff in it either.

I changed him to the Artemis 'fresh mix' and I can't wait to get off it now. Was fine for the first few weeks, now all we get are sloppy yellowish poop but he LOVES the food.

It's awful, I've tried less food, yoghurt but it all comes out the same and just does not agree. He is still growing fabulously and in good nick, but the poop is bad and wrong, and he farts so loud he actually wakes himself up and moves away from the smell, I kid you not.

Both have been mixed with meat, offal, sardines or egg and his 'lunch' is now a big raw meaty bone, which means we're going through it even slower... probably next step will be the Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy.

It's trial and error and my only advice is as financially sound as buying the mega bags is, best not to do that straight off the bat... :o

Let me know how you go if you beat me to the change, the only thing I don't like is the beet pulp in the Holistic Select. Argh!

I had Hunter on Taste of the Wild - the Bison one. He did very well on it however Juno did not seem to like it and wasn't really growing very much. I was told that TOTW was an "all life stages" food but there seems to be some discussion about whether this is a legitimate claim. So I kept Hunter on TOTW and put Juno onto Earthborn Holistic - Puppy Vantage. She did much better on this one... the biscuits are much smaller which was good as she is very petite for a staffy haha and she did seem to put on a bit more weight on it.

I have now changed over to a BARF type diet and they are doing even better on this. Juno was always picky with the kibble and would often leave half which was worrying. She gobbles down the raw stuff and is starting to fill out a bit more.

When i was feeding the kibble i was buying from pawsforlife.com.au which I found to be the cheapest when I was shopping around.

Hi - just curious as to when you introduced the bone for lunch and whether it coincided with the change in his "output". I'd be inclined to drop Judith from Artemis a quick email and let her know what has happened, given that he was fine on it initially.

:)

Well the first few weeks are where it was still mixed with the RC, I'm thinking it simply doesn't agree with his belly, which is fine and dandy by me (I so wanted it to work though!) and trial and error is all part of the fun!

The bone has made a bit of difference though, things are easier to handle in the backyard sense when there's been more meat than dry food.

Thanks for the hint though! I might just do that, see if she has any ideas. Could be too much food, could be anything!

i've notice with every kibble I have tryed with my dogs always made there coats smell horrible,bad gas,ear infections, shedding alot of hair,huge poos even when feed a small amount, poo about 6 times a day, there poos stink to high heaven lol. I've tryed black hawk,bonnie,supercoat,optimum,chum,hills science diet,vip natures goodness grainfree,earthborn grainfree,my own prey model diet and my own homemade barf. Right now I've been feeding those big dog barf patties and raw meaty bones. you can see pictures of Shelley in Health / Nutrition / Grooming before when she was feed kibble and raw and now 4 weeks after being feed big dog barf patties and raw meaty bones. So far since being feed these patties and bones there coats aren't smelling as bad, the gas seems to be not as bad,there poos are alot smaller,there only pooing 1 to twice a day, Ears are clearing up.

It's great that you've found what works for your dog, but also bear in mind all the commercial foods you trialled are fairly mediocre to very mediocre kibbles.

I kind of agree with you some poor quality ones in the list except for Earthborn grain free which I believe is one of the better kibbles out there.

Shelly is obviously doing really well on her kibble-free diet, but as you allude to it is finding what works for the individual dog.