Others Perception Of My Dogs

Staffyluv

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, if I knew I was expected and I saw smiley, waggly tailed staffies over a fence I'd let them have a quick hand sniff first and if they didn't try to eat my hand through the gate, I'd go in.

I did that with a friend actually, heading over to pick up a dog and let myself into the front yard to ring the doorbell. While I was waiting for her to come out I had a pat with the three or four small/med sized dogs. She came out and said 'Oh wow, xx likes you. Normally he doesn't, and can bite.' So you'd think I'd learn...

I never have the dogs in the front yard but I once had workmen let themselves into my back yard. Luckily I had only just seconds before put the dogs away! (I wasn't expecting them).

The reality is that the majority of people can't read dog body language well. The tradies who entered my back yard without permission thought my dog was friendly because she wasn't barking at them. Some people have no idea and that's how people end up getting bitten.

Edited by huski

I never have the dogs in the front yard but I once had workmen let themselves into my back yard. Luckily I had only just seconds before put the dogs away! (I wasn't expecting them).

The reality is that the majority of people can't read dog body language well. The tradies who entered my back yard without permission thought my dog was friendly because she wasn't barking at them. Some people have no idea and that's how people end up getting bitten.

That is right huski. Lots of people think because a dog wags his tail, he is friendly...

We have one at obedience, the dog wags his tail and his owner thinks he is happy to be close to the other dogs and then he attacks.. They are working with him but I told them last time they bought him up near Zig that I wasn't happy or comfortable with her dog that close to mine. I can see her dog go stiff, still and he moves his tail very slow but wags it and she thinks he is happy..