More Freedom

fluff1234

Hi all

Our pup is now 15 weeks..

He is great in the toilet training and sleeps in the crate by our bed from around 11.30 pm until 5-30-6 am.

Havent had indoor accidents for quite a while now..

Only when we are not watching as he silently stands by the door and doesnt bark unless he wants a poo, he just looks at us and raises his leg to go out, its really funny..

So we have to watch him like a hawk.

I also take him lout after every nap, feed and when he just hasnt been for a while.

When is he OK to be given more freedom in the house with supervision?

We are currently climbing over sofas, the crate and safety gates which are barriers as we have an open plan home LOL

Guest hankodie

For me it depends on the puppy, I firmly believe that freedom in the house is a right that the puppy needs to earn. Odie was restricted to a puppy pen and we gradually let her have more and more freedom outside the pen until we felt we trusted her enough to have the run of the house. That took almost 10 months - she picked up the bathroom thing quite fast but we didn't trust her enough to not chew on everything in sight. So whenever I wasn't watching her, she was in her puppy pen/sectioned off area of the house. Now she's 18 months and excellent around the house - she's never destroyed anything when on her own.

We are doing the same thing with our golden puppy who is around the same age as your pup, but this time around I can tell that he'll earn his "house rights" a lot quicker than Odie did, having said that today he had 2 accidents outside of his puppy pen when we weren't watching so we have to go back a few steps with his "house time" :laugh:

Again it just depends on how your pup goes, he'll learn eventually so just take it one day at a time :) a leash is also a great way to watch him if you're trying to "multi task" - I've been leashing Hank to my leg while I cook dinner just so I can watch him and make sure he doesn't go off to do a sneaky wee :laugh:

thanks, thats really helpful :)

I wouldnt trust him not to chew, but would follow him if he wandered and crate him when I have to do stuff. he currently has a large area in the kitchen family room where we watch tv and spend most of our time, if for any reason someone is not about as we are a large family, we pop him in the crate..

He will still be in his large pen in the garage when we go out...

Can you put in a doggy door? A few years ago I had one dog who just wouldn't let me know when he wanted 'out'. If I happened to see him standing at the door, that was fine but if I missed him then there was a puddle. The doggy door is great, made it so much easier when training later dogs.

I got a doggy door for my sliding door, BEST purchase I have made to date, my boy is very quiet and won't let me know if he needs to go out unless he is in the crate at night, the dodgy door has let me work at home without worry that there will be a poo round the corner when i'm done

One of my girls always sat at the door as a youngest but didn't make a sound so if I didn't see her there would be a puddle. I taught her to ring a bell so at night time if she wanted to go out she had a way to let me know she wanted to go.

Easy to teach, hang bell on door, wait till you think pup needs to go, touch bell with paw, let pup out for pee. Took my girl one night to pick it up and the others use it too, they just caught on by watching.

My guys pretty much had freedom from young pups when I was home to watch them.

Sounds like your on the right track.

• 3 weeks later...

It also depends on your house. I have all tile floors, and no valuable furniture. An occasional accident or mutilated ballpoint pen doesn't bother me. With some pups it's necessary to put the toilet paper up higher, and if I leave clothes on the floor, especially underpants, they become playthings. The only real worry is electrical cords. The combination of training the pup off them and keeping as few as possible in harm's way (closing off rooms if necessary) has generally worked for me. I give them freedom from week 8 onward.