Serial Offenders

I know a few people who always seem to be getting new dogs and then selling or giving them away 6 months later. Today I've seen two different friends selling their dogs both on facebook and other sites and calling me to see if I know of anyone who wants their dog and it's getting me down. I don't understand how you can get a new dog every 5 or 6 months after selling your 5 or 6 month old puppy that "just isn't working out". Just wondering how you guys deal with this part of the job?

I know a few people who always seem to be getting new dogs and then selling or giving them away 6 months later. Today I've seen two different friends selling their dogs both on facebook and other sites and calling me to see if I know of anyone who wants their dog and it's getting me down. I don't understand how you can get a new dog every 5 or 6 months after selling your 5 or 6 month old puppy that "just isn't working out". Just wondering how you guys deal with this part of the job?

What's their reason 'it isn't working out?' And why do they get another dog?

They give random (very vague) reasons and then they go out and buy another dog. I've tried speaking to them but they do what they do and then expect for me to help rehome their dogs and it's starting to annoy me.

Edited by mixeduppup

They give random (very vague) reasons and then they go out and buy another dog. I've tried speaking to them but they do what they do and then expect for me to help rehome their dogs and it's starting to annoy me.

Urgh, that's horrible. I understand, I haven't had anything that bad but have also had situations where people expect me to be understanding about their crappy actions - 'he's so naughty I've got to take him to the pound. I'd walk him but he pulls....' *facepalm*

Totally changes how you see them, doesn't it?

Where are they the new dogs from and where are the old ones going?

Urgh, that's horrible. I understand, I haven't had anything that bad but have also had situations where people expect me to be understanding about their crappy actions - 'he's so naughty I've got to take him to the pound. I'd walk him but he pulls....' *facepalm*

Totally changes how you see them, doesn't it?

Where are they the new dogs from and where are the old ones going?

They normally sell them on facebook to random people and then within a few weeks they have another puppy turn up and they'll call me and ask for advice or message/text me photos. The last one of my friends I was really upset as she got rid of two gorgeous dogs on facebook and then got this new puppy and was asking me about how to train it and I just said "I believe I've given you the same advice twice before and you didn't listen and then got rid of them anyway. My advice is don't get anymore dogs when you eventually sell this one, because we both know you will". She didn't talk to me for a few days then messaged me like nothing has happened and here she is selling this one only 5 months down the track. It just gets annoying. And of course I've said i could help her rehome it otherwise this very young, good looking purebred dog is going up for sale on facebook. Such a hard place to be in. Should I just leave it and let her learn from her mistakes? I have 2 other friends who are doing the same thing but I think they've realised I'm over it and are maybe slightly embarrassed.

It sounds like you are banging your head against a brick wall :(

In my experience they asked for advice/help, which I gave, but really they couldn't be bothered training/looking after their dog they just wanted to say they'd tried (justifying it in their own heads). I ended up just distancing myself from them. That way there is no big 'break-up' drama, but I don't have to see them anymore. Do you want to remain friends with her? If so I'm afraid you'll have to come to terms with the fact that you can't stop her doing this.

Argh, dogs shouldn't be bought and sold like outdayed mobile phones :(

I know someone kind of like this. Friend has a Cav which mostly lives in the backyard - loved a lot - but not really an integral part of the family. Thought it might be nice to get a playmate for him so he wouldn't be "lonely" all day while they were at work/school. An 8 weeks old Cocker is purchased from local pet shop and promptly deposited into backyard as Cav's playmate. Cocker pts at 6 months because showing signs of aggression. We are now 6 months later and whilst out shopping stop into pet shop, see cute 8 week old puppy, promptly play with said puppy, fall in love with said puppy, purchase said puppy and take him home as playmate for Cav. I fear that puppy has a death sentence too!

These are not the only dogs that these people have had .... I think I recall another 2-3 over the years which have been given away or sold because "they didn't work out" :confused: I just don't understand. Puppies are not something that are purchased like going out for bread and milk .... living, breathing creatures that one must commit to for the next 10-15 years ..... sometimes longer!