Dog Becoming Aggressive After Dog Bite

Chrysocyon

Hey,

Just looking for advice. I own an 18 month old Swiss Shepherd named Gypsy, recently my ex housemates Siberian Husky randomly attacked her. Previous to this the two dogs had no issue, they had been living together for 5 months and never had a issue. Since the attack she has started to show aggression towards other dogs ( Snarling, Hackles raised etc). I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they tackled this issue.

I have always paid keen attention in socializing her basically daily at a number of my local dog parks and beaches. She's always been a lovely dog and never shown aggression to any animal, even saved my other ex housemates rats from being eaten one day from the Husky by nursing them and barring the way of the Husky. So it's pretty heartbreaking that she has started to go down this road :(

I would be intensively grateful for any advice anyone has to offer.

It's best not to mess around with aggression. Contact a reputable behaviourist for advice. I'm on my phone and can't see what state you've stated you're in, but there are a few around that are widely recommended on DOL that others might be able to suggest.

For the moment, I'd also keep her and the husky separated and perhaps avoid contact with other dogs as much as possible to stop her from rehearsing the aggressive behaviour while you wait to see what a behaviourist has to say.

It's best not to mess around with aggression. Contact a reputable behaviourist for advice. I'm on my phone and can't see what state you've stated you're in, but there are a few around that are widely recommended on DOL that others might be able to suggest.

For the moment, I'd also keep her and the husky separated and perhaps avoid contact with other dogs as much as possible to stop her from rehearsing the aggressive behaviour while you wait to see what a behaviourist has to say.

I've moved out of there in the last week or so. Thank you for the advice, I will certainly look into behaviorists in my area.

This is definitely a job you need professional advice with ..

The name escapes me , but there is someone in Brissie I think who gets recommendation from folks on here ...

Jane Harper from Dogs on Track might be the one, Persephone?

If you're in her area, she'd be the best one to talk to. :)

This is definitely a job you need professional advice with ..

The name escapes me , but there is someone in Brissie I think who gets recommendation from folks on here ...

Jane Harper from Dogs on Track might be the one, Persephone?

If you're in her area, she'd be the best one to talk to. :)

That's the name ! thanks . :)

I've been through a similar experience and now have a dog reactive dog (well she's reactive to dogs who she doesn't know and we have to do introductions carefully). I don't know that I'd call my girl aggressive, but reactive - definitely. And for my girl it is primarily to do with being on lead (she was "attacked" when on lead so I assume that she now feels threatened on lead as she can't get away), when she is off lead we never have issues if it's neutral ground.

But get help from someone who knows what they're doing (as recommended) asap. The quicker you get on to this hopefully the lesser the issue will be. I think I didn't get on to it quickly enough and it's been 3 years of hard work and it will always be something I have to keep an eye on. you will be able to help your dog it will just take work, consistency and committment.

good luck!