New Camera! And Terrible Photos From A Total N00b

Alkhe

Hi Linda

I totally agree, but was not talking "professional" rather enthusiasts, and those learning, and by presets I meant aperture or shutter priority instead of full manual, while learning to understand the intricacies of taking a good photo. (Sorry for any confusion there). Your post was well constructed and easily understood. I just hate to see people lose confidence and interest in their photography while learning because they think they must shoot in Manual, but don't understand how to do this properly.

As others have said, practice, and then analyse the results

Di

Very nice!! I think you've done just fine with your first zoo outing - that tiger pic is to die for!

It's not always easy to get good zoo pics if you don't visit often and have no real idea of which animals are likely to be doing something at what times.

I'm sure you have a lot of really nice photos - but like a lot of us, you might be your own worst critic... *grin*

Yesterday, I was going through my most recent Taronga pics, and even though there are lots of good photos (practice increases the odds), there is one photo that I actually squealed at when I saw it on the big computer screen - out of just over 1000 photos taken on the day...

I've been tryng to get a decently focused shot of the Whistling Kite (her name is Dixie) in flight at the Bird Show for a couple of months - only coming close a couple of times - but on Sunday I think I finally nailed it. I've taken probably around 500 photos of this bird over the past couple of months before I got this one that I really like. It definitely helped that I have a good idea of her flight patterns and speed by now... lol!

10531510525_6dbe5f4f5a_b.jpg

27-10-2013-taronga 858-dixie2 by tdierikx, on Flickr

Original photo was 5184x3456 pixels - and I had to crop to 3032x1839 to get the end result - but there has been very little adjustment (a bit of contrast applied) otherwise.

T.

Alkhe - love that Meercat shot, you have a lovely depth of field there that has isolated him nicely, and see how just getting that light in his eyes makes him look so lively (and just adds that bit of personality into the shot.

tdierikx - love that eagle swooping, again, the catchlights in the eye, the background seperation by the aperture choice, and the movement of the subject even within the frame is wonderful. Good capture!!!

Linda K - would you believe that the swooping bird shot actually came from using the Sports preset on my 60D - and as I shoot in JPG, the only post I did to it was a small amount of cropping and a little contrast adjustment...

Cameras today are getting very good at doing all the hard stuff for us... lol! Basically all I tend to do is track the subject and make sure I have focus, and let the camera do the rest. I figure if it interests me when I'm looking through the viewfnder, then the resulting pic may be of interest to others also... *grin*

So Alkhe - are you going to post some more pics... at least the Cotton-Top Tamarin one... it's really good!

T.

well, that is where you then look at what setting s the camera used, and know that if you wanted to duplicate the shot, that is what you cvould start with, assuming light conditions were the same. But the composition of the frame is just as imprtant too - the ideas of 1/3's, and filling the frame with interest to make the eye move around but return to the subjectmand not have distractions in the image that make the eye want to leave the frame are equally as important as correct exposure and focus - it can be a perfectly exposed and focused image, but if it is also boring or has too many distracting elements that just do not belong, then it will not engage the eye.