Clicker Training

I have just added a new page to my website to help those who want to learn the basics of Clicker Training. I have been asked to do a demonstration at agility training this week so have put together some notes which you will find a PDF File link to An Introduction to Clicker Training I don't want this thread to turn into a debate on Clicker Training V other ways, I am simply putting it up to share with those who are genuinely interested in how to get started in training with the clicker :)

Great article!

What are your thoughts on using a clicker in group classes? Obedience is easy enough to shape at home and show off in class :) but agility is a bit more difficult as I don't have the obstacles at home.

Just wondering if it can confuse the other dogs in the class.

Great article!

What are your thoughts on using a clicker in group classes? Obedience is easy enough to shape at home and show off in class :) but agility is a bit more difficult as I don't have the obstacles at home.

Just wondering if it can confuse the other dogs in the class.

Hi Leah, thanks & glad you liked the article. There is no problem with multiple clickers being used. Dog's hearing is a lot more sensitive than ours & they know the sound of YOUR clicker & may be a little distracted for a few seconds but then they will have eyes for only you. Karen Pryor demonstrates this by having three or four handlers only about a meter apart, but of course the further apart you can be the better, especially for green dogs.

The demonstration I did at training last night went well, but I could only spend 15 minutes on it as I had a double agility class to instruct as well. I am not a great public speaker, so it was good training for me & my dog has never had to demonstrate before, surrounded by so many people, but she did me proud. I also demonstrated on a green dog, one whose owner said that she was frightened of the clicker. Within a few minutes, of "loading the clicker" with her, she was clearly showing her pleasure in this new game & started showing more interest in the clicker than the treats :thumbsup: