Registered Breeders And Selling Unreg Pups

pepe001

Cassie if you got your puppy in 2006 in SA I think at that point breeders in some states (SA and WA I think) still didn't have to register the whole litter. So it may be that the breeder was well with in the rules for that state as far as selling some of the litter without papers.

Ha! Well there you go. Thanks I didn't know that. Yes it was an SA breeder. (The extra cost of $400 bit was rubbish though, I'm talking for limited registration.)

For the record, that's not the reason I labelled them as unethical, FAR from it. But thanks for filling me in Espinay and Natsu chan :)

Espinay

How long ago? Before the Limited register was introduced, Breeders did not have to register all the pups in the litter and pups sold to pet homes were usually sold unregistered/without registration papers. It was generally only those which were going to be shown or bred from that were registered. My very first Pyrenean (born in 1994) was sold to me as a pet without registration as was the norm at that time (I was given a ten generation hand written pedigree). Once the Limited register was introduced, a rule was brought in that all pups in a litter must be registered.

All states are different, but in Q, registered breeders have always had to register all their pups. Even before limited register -- we simply put them on main register, which was all there was. Buyers were more ethical then too.

I know a breeder in NSW who sells a few litters unregistered every now and then. They'd be screwed if DOgs NSW knew how often they bred their bitches....cant bloody prove it though so there isn't much we can do about it.

SA has breeders that sell "pet" litters between registered litters to "cover their expenses". (One is even related to a SACA committee member) It's getting the proof and then trusting SACA to actually have the balls to do anything. My experience with them proves they don't have balls so it will just keep happening.

Buyer beware! And do your homework :mad

I am not even in the industry and I know this happens, breeders want to have more litters than is allowed seem to do this often.

Assuming a registered breeder is ethical is a bit of a joke. If a regulated industry is in a mess, what hope if there of wiping out backyard breeders.