Cold Puppy

h878

We got our puppy today and it is a little chilly where we are. He obv. doesn't have his mum or littermates to keep him warm and he's shivering quite a bit if we're not holding him. He has a soft, cosy bed and a blanket. What else can I do for him? Is a hot water bottle under his bed safe or could he chew through it? He's only a very small puppy (dachshund)

Where is his bed? If it's in the laundry or a bathroom, move it into a warmer room. Any tiled room will be a heat sink and he will have trouble staying warm. Make sure the bed is not in a draft too.

There is also the possibility that his shivering isn't entirely related to being cold. He could be feeling a bit overwhelmed by the change in his life.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I never use a hot water bottle on anything more than a couple of weeks old. Pups do chew & dig. They also go cold fairly quickly.

Buy a Snugglesafe microwave heat pad. Much safer & stays warm for a lot longer.

The igloo type beds are warmer. The ones with a half hood. I got 2 from Kmart for only $9 each for the cats & put them on the kitchen table. Turned around & there was a poodle in each one :laugh:

Munno Para still have them as I got 2 more this week or phone your nearest store & ask.

Tiny puppy & maybe nervous too. It is still cold some nights.

Thanks for the replies :)

His bed in the dining room next to the lounge room where he can see us. I'm fairly sure it is the cold as it was awful taking him out to wee just before. We have floorboards so not exactly warm! I have an old rug under my bed I could put under his crate. I'm near the CBD Christina so Munno Para is a bit far but I will check my local tomorrow to see if they have any of those beds. It'll fit into his crate easily :)

Cardboard is a pretty good insulator (& no tragedy if chewed) to go under the old rug.

Our new pup liked a teddy to cuddle up to, also.

Breeder suggested as they're used to falling asleep with their littermates.

He slept all night, first night!

Possibly anxiety with shivering?

Regardless, warm environment won't do any harm smile.gif

Thanks for the replies :)

His bed in the dining room next to the lounge room where he can see us. I'm fairly sure it is the cold as it was awful taking him out to wee just before. We have floorboards so not exactly warm! I have an old rug under my bed I could put under his crate. I'm near the CBD Christina so Munno Para is a bit far but I will check my local tomorrow to see if they have any of those beds. It'll fit into his crate easily :)

Do you have a blanket over the crate?

Guest Maeby Fünke

Yes, a blanket covering the crate is a good idea. Does he have nice soft blankies (like polar fleece) and a teddy inside to snuggle up to? I would definitely buy the heat pad and put a rubber mat under the crate for insulation as well.

I second the Snugglesafe - totally indestructible - I got one for my baby Maltese when he came home with us in April - so through a Sydney winter - stays warm all night and comes it it's own polar fleece cover. Pop it in the microwave for 2 mins, tuck it unto bed with puppy and he will stay warm all night. I bought mine on ebay. If you get one make sure you get the authentic Sugglesafe.

• 1 month later...

I have made little doggy jumpers out of a childs old jumper or track pants. just cut off the arm of the jumper ( or leg of the pants) and the wrist part of the sleeve with the cuff becomes the neck then just cut some holes in the bottom part to allow for front leg holes, then the rest of the arm covers the body.

Cheap, effective and you can have a few on the go at once!