What Breed? But With A Twist.

wings

A breed better or equal to a Rottweiler?

Willow asks.....Are you SURE there is such a thing?

That face :love:

I think a Rotti would be a fantastic dog to own, I'd feel very safe with one if we were bonded to each other, but I've been frightened by several up close so I tend to be cautious near them.

I think that's one of the reasons my family really don't want one here permanently. I'm the dog person amongst them and they don't mind the two that visit but they aren't exactly bounding outside for cuddles either. Generally they are fine with anything on the smaller side and my mini dachie seems to have won them all over.

So maybe one day I can have big dogs (Rottie and an Irish Wolfhound sounds like heaven to me, not sure if I'd fit on the couch between them though!) but for now I'm happy to stick to the shorter ones to keep the peace.

Thanks for the breed suggestions, definitely a few to check out. Might have to find my way to a dog show to see some of them.

This is probably a strange one but I've become addicted to Rottweilers. Love everything about them, I love the look, I love the temperament, I love the personality and luckily I have two that visit a few times a week so I can get snuggles, of course this means my dachie pup has joined me in my rottie addiction.

Tricky thing is they are just too big for my current lifestyle. So what smaller breeds share some of the wonderful qualities of the Rottweilers?

Choose carefully. It is unlikely you're going to get many Rottweiler characteristics other than colour in a smaller dog.

I doubt you'll find an ETT or a Min Pin much like a Rottweiler in character.

I agree with HW --- of all the breeds mentioned above, the one with the most Rottweiler-like character (i.e. personality & temperament) would be the Tibetan Spaniel.

It's a great idea to attend a few shows and get to know the smaller breeds - it all depends how much the look rather than the character turns you on.

I'll admit I do love the look, but it's the character that gets me every time.

Knowing my luck nothing will suit except a Rottie and I'll just wait it out :laugh: At the moment my dog plans involve my dachie and adding a whippet to the family next year. But I like to plan well ahead, meet breeds in person and get a feel for them before jumping into anything. It's also a great way to introduce the family to potential breeds and see if I can show them why they are wonderful :thumbsup:

Having owned several Chihuahuas I think a well bred well reared Chi would give you what you are looking for in a small package

Eta...to say Chihuahuas are my number 1 favourite breed :)

Edited by skyefool