Jesses Diet

About 6weeks ago Jesse had a bout of diarrhea and was off his food.Very unusual..I took him straight to my vet as he had been boarding for a few days.His weight was down a little which was probably fretting as he did not eat much while there.Vet suggested Eukanuba I D .Jesse hated it and would only eat optimum puppy,plus some canned as well.Back for a check up two weeks later weight unchanged.I should have said earlier all his organs etc seemed fine,really healthy.Anyway vet suggested I try Eukanuba performance brand.He hates this and won't touch it.,so were back on original diet as it's all he'll eat!As he's nearly a year old I would like him to be on a better diet.He is very active and the vet says he is better a bit lighter but I don't know why his eating patterns have changed so much .!from wolfing everything in sight to leaving food.Any ideas would be so appreciated.. :)

What kind of dog is he? My lab pup hated eukanuba. Sometimes they just don't like it!

At a year old, maybe his growth has slowed and he just isn't as hungry? Stick to what he'll actually eat I reckon.

We switched to royal canin and now we have no problems with his appetite :)

We're using the Royal Canin Labrador food, but I think they have a food selector tool on their website? It came up with two options for us - I think the other one was called Maxi? There's a junior and adult food in that, so that could work for you. It looked pretty similar to the lab food anyway.

I have to admit I like the smell of the RC much better too - it smells like vegemite :)

Hope you have better luck finding something he likes!

Edited by aliwake

Your vet says your dog's better a bit lighter?

If he's not too skinny, choose whichever food you want him on and transition over a few days.

Offer the food, leave it for 10 minutes then take it away until next meal time.

A healthy dog does not starve itself.

I used to feed a mix of raw and kibble, but kibble was the "food of last resort" when it was clear no more raw was forthcoming smile.gif.

Dogs aren't stupid and will train YOU if you allow it.

Yes you are so right!Jesse Is doing a great job of training me!!!!In the last couple of days I have fed him only once daily and he's finished it.Tried him about 9am..again at 1pm but about 4 he started looking for it and finished the whole lot.I'm thinking now he may prefer only one feed.I have always fed my dogs twice daily as I feel it's better for them,but maybe I change.Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply.I will try to put a photo up.All of your dogs are so gorgeous! :)