British Bulldog

chevy72

Have been looking into getting a bulldog doing a bit of research over the last few months.. anyway should breeders hip/elbow score their breeding dogs is there a breed average is so what is it? or is this not a problem within the breed, I cant find any info online regarding this.. thanks :)

Here you can look up some official kennel club approved statistics for Finnish/European bulldogs. I have to say they aren't very encouraging stats at all.

Of course things might be slightly different in Australia, but as far as I know the Finnish Kennel Club is the only organisation to publicly offer such statistics and the information is interesting nevertheless.

It's hard to build a dog with the physique of a bulldog and end out with good hips and elbows. The OFA statistics look as bad as the Finnish stats cited above. See

http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html or flip through OFA pages for elbows. Bulldogs are at the top of the list for bad hips with 60-70+% dysplasic, depending on what time period you look at. Given the small number of dogs sampled, it looks like most breeders avoid testing.